Menu

Compare Plugin_confused on "latest" version; fix in NPP 6.7.1

2015-01-30
2015-02-01
  • Brittney Smith

Brittney Smith - 2015-01-30

I've had lots of crashing / lockups with Compare Plugin in Vista x64.
    I see NPP v6.7.1 mentions: "Fix a regression (broken with compare plugin) due to a new feature of MRU in v6.7 (the feature is removed)."

Does "feature is removed" mean, Compare plugin was removed from NPP installer? What was the actual issue that this fixed -in v6.7.1?

Also I see an announcement in Plugin Dev. forum, that Compare Plugin 1.5.6.5 released Jan 2015. But NPP plugin mgr doesn't show an update for it.

Another Compare plugin v 1.5.6.2 - listed (that NPP plugin mgr doesn't find): https://sourceforge.net/projects/npp-compare/files/

Which of these should I get, if I'm not just "testing" Compare?

Is Compare 1.5.6.5 not a stable version, or not an "official" version, or just a glitch in plugin mgr finding it, or.... ?

Thanks.

Last edit: Brittney Smith 2015-01-30
  • UFO

UFO - 2015-01-30

I've had lots of crashing / lockups with Compare Plugin in Vista x64.

Maybe you could share a "stable" crash/lockup with me?
    I would be interested since I'm working on this plug-in sometimes.
    I can only say that it simply might look like a lockup, when you compare
    the "wrong" files. If you compare 2 files with a very huge
    amount of differences, which quickly happens, when you take 2
    files which aren't related to each other at all. Assuming that the
    amount of differences is very, veeeery huge.. it indeed crashes (crashed)
    in the end. There have been made some improvements regarding that, especially
    in the upcoming (unofficial) release.

What was the actual issue that this fixed -in v6.7.1?

You might not pay attention to this at all. It was a minor glitch
    in N++, which was especially noticeable in the compare plug-in.

But NPP plugin mgr doesn't show an update for it.

This is mainly due to the last versions not being official releases.
    I'm not the official maintainer. The official one is quite idle,
    but maybe he'll return some day.. being on fire?

Which of these should I get, if I'm not just "testing" Compare?

I'll try to come up with a stable 1.5.6.7 in the next weeks,
    which hopefully finds its way into the plug-in manager.

Regards

Last edit: UFO 2015-01-30
  • Brittney Smith

Brittney Smith - 2015-02-01

Thanks UFO.

a "stable" crash/lockup

Not sure what you mean. Humor?? :)

1st - I was using the Compare version included in NPP 6.7 (or the one off "official" plugin site). Your newer versions may not have the problems I saw.

I saw 2 main Compare problems. Didn't happen every time, but often enough not to be a fluke. These are small, javascript files. Very similar. One might be ~ 12 KB, the other 3 - 6 KB. Many lines are identical between them.

I compared 2 files (& everything seemed to work), then closed those 2 files / tabs, but not close NPP.
    Then open another 2 different files - different paths than before, but sometimes same file names, as previous two (or not).

When the 2nd two are opened in NPP, then select Compare plugin > Compare, it immediately said "files match." But, they didn't. Before doing compare, it was clear they didn't match.

What it seemed to be doing was, as soon as "Compare" was activated, it would copy the contents of the 2nd file (by order of opening in NPP) into the 1st file. Then declare they matched. :D

After this would happen, I'd try to close the files (not save). That's when the NPP / Compare hangups would happen.

So, I'd kill NPP process & restart it. Again, the 1st compare would usually work, but a 2nd compare (w/o closing NPP - in between) had same problems.

Last edit: Brittney Smith 2015-02-01
  • UFO

UFO - 2015-02-01

...then closed those 2 files / tabs, but not close NPP.
    Then open another 2 different files...

Thanks for the detailed report. The described issue was (hopefully) closed by the version 1.5.6.5:

NEW: Auto "Clear Results" when closing one of both compared files

In the past the plug-in never auto cleared the (internal) comparison results when compared files were closed, which led into problems afterwards. You always had to call "Clear Results" when done.

Regards