ComparePlugin 1.5.6.6

UFO
2015-01-06
2015-02-08
1 2 3 > >> (Page 1 of 3)
  • UFO

UFO - 2015-01-06

Hello,

NEW: Loader for using N++ as an external diff viewer (e.g. in TortoiseSVN, TortoiseGit, ..)
    Syntax: .../Notepad++/plugins/ComparePlugin/compare.exe <file_path_1> <file_path_2>
    NEW: Use default background color of current theme as background color for nav bar
    FIX: Exception after confirming options dialog when navigation bar isn't used
    FIX: Miscellaneous minor fixes and improvements for the nav bar

-> DOWNLOAD <-

• Pavel Nedev

Pavel Nedev - 2015-01-06

Hi UFO,

Great work! Compare plugin is becoming more and more useful, thanks for your work on this!

I noticed one minor issue. I'm using DocSwitcher N++ panel and if you have it open and run SVN base compare on a file for example, after closing the compare results the SVN base version of the file (that is named 'New 1, 2, whatever' in N++) remains present in the DocSwitcher list. I haven't tried with the Tab bar but I presume there is no issue with it, otherwise you would have probably noticed. The same behavior is observed for all compare cases that require new, temporal file to be opened (repository comparisons and compare to last save).

• UFO

UFO - 2015-01-06

Hi,
    thanks for reporting. I can reproduce it by directly closing one of the compared files.
    It doesn't happen when you "Clear Results", but I'll see what I can do.

• Pavel Nedev

Pavel Nedev - 2015-01-07

Hi,
    Yes, you are right, closing manually the file triggers the wrong behavior.

I came across another thing:
    If you have several open files and you run comparison against repository base or last save, it is often interpreted as if you are trying to compare two of the opened files. Do you observe the same or I'm doing something wrong?

• UFO

UFO - 2015-01-07

I know what you mean. It happens when you compare a file (against a temp one), which is not the "last opened" one. More specifically, when its tab position is not the most right one. Even worse.. if you hit ALT+S on such a file, then all changes are lost after clearing the results! It's an "old" bug and I have also stumbled across it, but forget it later on. It should definitely be fixed in the next version.

• Yaron

Yaron - 2015-01-07

Hello UFO,

Thanks again for your great work.

Could you add an option to disable the warning message (more than a thousand diffs)?
    - If you regularly compare large files, it interrupts the workflow.

Compare -> Option. Change to "Options". :)

Regards.

• UFO

UFO - 2015-01-07

Ah, yes.. my initial idea was to be able to define the limit in the options dialog. You would simply set it "0" then, which would mean that the check is disabled.
    Btw, I placed that warning dialog, because I saw lots of complaints in the past, that N++ apparently sometimes "freezes" when starting a diff, but it just takes time, when there are "too many" diffs. For instance, sometimes you just compare a "wrong" pair of files, and when these files are huge as well, then you simply might get pissed of by that break. It happens to myself.. well, it happened. I guess that was also the reason why that plug-in got popped from the list of default plug-ins.

• Yaron

Yaron - 2015-01-08

Your initial idea is good. :)
    A setting in "Compare.ini" would be fine too.

I have indeed wondered why Compare was not included in the default plugins.
    IMO, it most definitely should be.

Thank you.

• Pavel Nedev

Pavel Nedev - 2015-01-08

It's a good idea to add compare progress dialog that would also show the full names of the files (incl. paths) being compared. Then the "freeze" won't bother users anymore.
    I can help with that if you like.

Last edit: Pavel Nedev 2015-01-08
  • UFO

UFO - 2015-01-08

Sounds good! Do you mean a small modal dialog with a progress bar? If you could implement it (fully or partly), that would be great. You know, officially I'm not the maintainer of that plug-in, I'm just trying to improve it a bit, since I'm intensively using it myself and the project looked quite orphaned to me.

• Pavel Nedev

Pavel Nedev - 2015-01-08

Great initiative I would say :)
    I'll implement the progress as a class with Start, SetPercent and IsCancelled API and send it to you as separate file (cpp + h). I don't know how the Compare plugin code is organized but I imagine it can start the progress dialog and occasionally set current progress as percentage. It should also check if the user hasn't cancelled the operation. Does it sound OK to you?

• UFO

UFO - 2015-01-08

Sounds OK! Btw, you can also attach files over here if you want: https://bitbucket.org/uph0/compare/issues/new

• Yaron

Yaron - 2015-01-08

Thank you UFO and Pavel.

The progress dialog is a great idea.
    How about activating it only for large files (1000/1500 diffs)?
    - In small/medium files, it would slow down the comparison process.

@UFO,
    I'm glad this orphan project has found a good warm home.
    Are you open to more adoptions? :)

• UFO

UFO - 2015-01-08

Yes, probably no need to show it at all for small files. We'll see how it works out. Are there any other orphaned must-have plug-ins around? :) But to be honest, unfortunately I'm already fully stretched regarding projects. I just found some motivations to work on this one again (these days).

• Yaron

Yaron - 2015-01-08

Keep up the excellent work on Compare. I'm sure that many users around the world are grateful.

My suggestion to more adoptions was written half jokingly.
    Yet, if and when you find some free time:
    https://sourceforge.net/p/notepad-plus/discussion/482781/thread/cb1574da/

• UFO

UFO - 2015-01-08

@Yaron
    Sorry, I never even tried that plug-in.

@Pavel

I'm using DocSwitcher N++ panel and if you have it open and run
    SVN base compare on a file for example, after closing the compare
    results the SVN base version of the file (that is named 'New 1, 2,
    whatever' in N++) remains present in the DocSwitcher list.

As much as I can see, this is due to a restriction in N++. I don't know if to call it a bug in N++. And this is how to reproduce it:
    1) Create 2 "NEW" files (thus temp files)
    2) Move 1 file to the second view
    3) Now close the file on the first view
    4) Both files stay in the DocSwitcher panel!
    And I don't even succeed to remove the "broken" one via GUI.

Last edit: UFO 2015-01-08
    • Pavel Nedev

Pavel Nedev - 2015-01-09

That's bad. Looks like a bug to me. Anyways, clearing compare results works-around that problem. Thanks for the investigation.

• Pavel Nedev

Pavel Nedev - 2015-01-09

Hi UFO,
    Just uploaded the progress class in BitBucket link you provided.
    Write back if you need any help.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2015-01-09

Thank You all for your effort.
    One thing I can see in almost all versions that after comparing files, text/font size of file in right window becomes small.

Last edit: Anonymous 2015-01-09
  • UFO

UFO - 2015-01-09

@Pavel:
    Great, thanks a lot.. I'll soon have a try on it and report back!

@Start Wars:
    I guess by becoming small you mean resetting to default size? Looks just like another default behavior of N++. When you've got a file in the main view and then change its zoom level, that doesn't mean that the second view automatically "inherits" the zoom level. So if you manually move the file to the second view, it will appear with default font size again. I'll see how it works out when I copy the zoom level between the views. Thanks for reporting.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2015-01-10

@UFO
      OK.. So this is default behavior of npp, move to another view doesn't inherit zoom level from main view, and resets to default size.
      Thanks.
      Along with other features, Warning Dialogue feature is really nice and solves problems like comparing wrong pair of files or files having large differences etc.
      Thanks for your great work...

Last edit: Anonymous 2015-01-10
  • THEVENOT Guy

THEVENOT Guy - 2015-01-10

Hello, Star wars, UFO, Pavel, Yaron,

First of all, I wish, to everyone, an Happy New year 2015 !

To be exact, zoom in the two views of Notepad++ ( Main view and Secondary view ) are totally independent !

So, let's suppose that :

• 2 files ( file1 and file2 ) are opened in the Main view, with a zoom factor > 100 %

• 2 files ( file3 and file4 ) are opened, in the Secondary view, with a zoom factor < 100 %

Then, after moving, let's say, file2, from the main to the secondary view, the zoom factor of the file2 file, in the secondary view, will becomes the same as the file3 and file4 files zoom

Cheers,

guy038

Je suis CHARLIE

Last edit: THEVENOT Guy 2015-01-10
    • Yaron

Yaron - 2015-01-10

Hello guy038,

Thank you.

Je suis CHARLIE.
      Vive la France!

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2015-01-10

@THEVENOT Guy
    Thanks guy038, Thank You very much...
    So it means,
    Suppose I always use 500% (e.g.) zoom level in main view .
    Then once, I will have to move any file to other view and set its zoom level 500% and done.

Now, if any time I move any file to other view OR compare files using "Compare Plugin", it will show 500% zoom level in secondary view (and since I'm using 500% zoom level in main view, both views will be in sync).
    :-)

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2015-01-10

1 2 3 > >> (Page 1 of 3)