get text for each document\tab

• Heinz

Heinz - 2013-04-06

I am a beginner so probably this is a simple problem...but I wasn't able to figure out how to do it :
    How can I loop through all opened documents (tabs) and get the text for each document?

I already have some code that loops though all documents\tabs and gets the filename for each document, this is done using NPPM_GETNBOPENFILES, NPPM_GETBUFFERIDFROMPOS and NPPM_GETFULLPATHFROMBUFFERID.
    But with these messages I only get the document names - but not their text.

For the active document\tab I can get the text with SCI_GETTEXT - but how could I loop through all opened documents and get each document's text?

• Dave Brotherstone

You basically need to do the document handle dance. What this means is capturing the document handle for each tab (when you get a FILEOPENED, or BUFFERACTIVATED, grab a copy of the document pointer - SCI_GETDOCPOINTER).

Then you can create a hidden Scintilla control (NPPM_CREATESCINTILLAHANDLE), and set the doc pointer to each doc pointer you captured (SCI_SETDOCPOINTER). Then you can call SCI_GETTEXT on your hidden scintilla. It's more efficient to keep the Scintilla around whilst you still might need it, and only destroy it with NPPM_DESTROYSCINTILLAHANDLE on NPPN_SHUTDOWN.

Hope that helps.