Delete all lines in a .txt with a certain length

2013-09-30
2013-11-10
  • mangooogames

mangooogames - 2013-09-30

Hello,
    I try to delete all lines with a length of 4 or less characters from a file that has a line per word (it is a very simple dictionary).
    Deleting every short line in this gigantic file would be several hours of work.
    Is there a way to automatically delete all words/lines including the \n automatically?
    Greetings,
    mangooogames

• mangooogames

mangooogames - 2013-09-30

Okay, I found it out myself:
    I created a regular expression (regex) and used "Replace all" with an empty replacement.
    This was the expression:

\b[A-Za-z0-9]{1,4}\b\r\n

Greetings,
    mangooogames

Last edit: mangooogames 2013-09-30
  • THEVENOT Guy

THEVENOT Guy - 2013-10-04

Hello mangooogames,

Fine ! You were able to find out this regex by yourself. It's the best way to progress on making powerful regular expressions :-)

Just 3 hints :

• If you don't mind to add the underscore character (_) to the allowed characters, use the \w form which is identical to the class character [A-Za-z0-9_]

• Instead of the couple \r\n, you would better use the \R form which represents \r\n in a Windows file, \n in an Unix file or \r in an old Mac file !

• You don't need to enclose words with the assertion \b ( word boundary ). Just, add the assertion ^ ( anchor ), at beginning of the regex, which stands for the very beginning of each line.

So, the final regular expression, to suit your needs, can be shortened in :

^\w{1,4}\R

Enjoy our loved and powerful editor :)

Best Regards,

guy038

P.S. :

You will find good documentation, about the new Perl Common Regular Expressions (PCRE), used by N++, since the 6.0 version, at the TWO addresses below :

http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_48_0/libs/regex/doc/html/boost_regex/syntax/perl_syntax.html

http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_48_0/libs/regex/doc/html/boost_regex/format/boost_format_syntax.html

The FIRST link concerns the syntax of regular expressions in SEARCH

The SECOND link concerns the syntax of regular expressions in REPLACEMENT

Last edit: THEVENOT Guy 2013-10-04
  • mangooogames

mangooogames - 2013-11-10

Thank you for your advice!
    The topic is no longer of relevance for me, since I only needed the regex once, but some additional knowledge can't be wrong.

Greetings,
    mangooogames