crash at the startup (opening a file)

2007-01-31
2012-11-13
  • Nobody/Anonymous

hi guys;

Notepad++: v4.0
    The case:
    I have a file called "mysterious field.sql" on my desktop. Notepad++ crashes everytime I want to open it. No matter if I double-click the file (associated with the program) or open it from Notepad++. This is the standard XP crash window with an error signature and mem dump.
    The funny thing is that there's nothing special about this file. Even if I make a copy of the file and put it also on the desktop, I can open w/o any problems. The file isn't locked or used by any other program either.

???

• Nobody/Anonymous

This may be a know issue, but it's inconvenient so I figured I'd shared.  I didn't test all the different conditions throughly.

The repro steps are as follows   (Win2k3, Notepad++ 4.2.2 - english)

1) Open or create new file in notepad++  C:\Foo   (path doesn't matter)
      2) Close notepad++  (don't close the document, close the editor)
      3) Rename the document to something (anything else)
      4) Create a new directory 'C:\Foo'
      5) Open notepad++

Observed behavior:
        Get message:  "Cannot open file C:\Foo"   (that is fine)
        Notepad++ crashes with "The exception unknown software exception (0xc000000d) occured in the application at location 0x0044dc41).
        (notepad++ stays in this state until some corrective action is taken)

Work around: 
      Rename the file/directory back again and futz around a little bit until it it loads (got it to work by right-clicking the text file after it was renamed back to 'C:\Foo' and selecting 'edit with notepad++'.  

• Don HO

Don HO - 2007-01-31

It seems the full path name is in Unicode.
      Could you give me the *Full Path Name* of this file?

Don

• Nobody/Anonymous

the full path is:
        C:\Documents and Settings\ai6373\Desktop\mysterious field.sql

the thing is... this file open w/o problems:
        C:\Documents and Settings\ai6373\Desktop\Copy of mysterious field.sql

• Nobody/Anonymous

I had the same problem, thanks for the tip nobody.

• Nobody/Anonymous

I bet the problem you are having is the same one I've been having, and recently decided to use my brain and figure it out. My problem (opening a file --> crash) was because the file was initially created on the desktop. If I renamed the file, it would not open. If I copied, it would open. However, when I took the file and moved it to my documents (I suspect I could have moved it anywhere), the file would open. So I think it's something about a file that is initially created (extracted from an archive, etc) on the desktop that causes the problem. Hope that helps.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks