find dialog and alt-tab

2014-01-02
2014-01-15
  • James Devine

James Devine - 2014-01-02

It seems if I have a find dialog open and I alt-tab to try to get to another window it does not do this, it just takes the focus off the find dialog window, if I alt-tab again it works and when I alt-tab back the find dialog is still unfocused. Is there a way to turn this off so alt-tab works like usual and the find dialog always stays in focus while open?

• cchris

cchris - 2014-01-04

Can't reproduce this. When you return via alt-tab, normal Windows behaviour is that the main app window gets the focus, so the dialog box loses focus. This part could be altered.

Do you have any dockable window open? Co you have the splitter on? What is your Windows version? (Win8.1/64 here).

CChris

• James Devine

James Devine - 2014-01-04

Yeah when the find dialog is open and I alt-tab it changes focus to the main window so that I can now type in the main window, same when I return via alt-tab the main window has focus again and the find dialog is present but unfocused.

I usually run with nppftp docked on the right side but I tried turning that off so I only had a single editable window open and had the same effect. I usually run with multiInst turned on and nosession but disabling those options had no effect. I also tried removing the two plugins I've installed nppftp and explorer but no effect.

I am running version 6.5.2 on windows 7 64bit

• James Devine

James Devine - 2014-01-13

Maybe a better question would be if anyone else is experiencing this problem.

• James Devine

James Devine - 2014-01-15

Other people I know can reproduce this so maybe I need to be more descriptive. If I have notepad++ open and another window, say a browser. If I am in notepad++ and open a search window via ctrl f, then I alt tab.

If I only press alt tabbed once, notepad++ is still in focus only the main window is now in focus rather than the search window.

If I press alt tabbed twice it takes the action I expected from a single alt tab, it switched to the browser.

Now from the browser if I alt tab back, notepad++ comes back up but the main window is in focus not the search window. I have to click back on the search window to focus it so I can actually do my search.

This can all be avoided by switching to the browser and copying what I want to search for before opening the search box in notepad++ but apparently my mind doesn't work like that :)

Last edit: James Devine 2014-01-15

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks