Comic Sans

2007-12-21
2012-11-13
  • Nobody/Anonymous

Hi.  I just upgraded to v4.6, and it's still using Comic Sans for comments.  Can this please be removed?  This is a code editor and it needs to be in a monospace font, including the comments.

• Biscuit

Biscuit - 2008-02-04

This is one of the features of NP++ I *like*, that it enables users to customize the fonts/colors of syntax highlighter to their own preferences. Why anyone would complain because they are offered a CHOICE is beyond me.

Don't like Comic Sans? Then just change it and go find something else to bitch about....sheeesh.

• Aren Cambre

Aren Cambre - 2008-08-06

This keeps being overridden in upgrades. Why not just get rid of the abhorrent font in the first place?

• Nobody/Anonymous

How do I change this forum's font?

• Nobody/Anonymous

... it needs ...

Sounds like YOU THINK you need it.
      And Notepad++ is fully configurable to meet your needs.

So just do a simple job yourself, instead of repeating claims and complaints. Thank you.

• Nobody/Anonymous

On Dec 21, 2007 2:58 PM, SourceForge.net <noreply@sourceforge.net> wrote:

> Sounds like YOU THINK you need it.

Source code is always designed for a monospace font, with very few exceptions.  Just look at anything that has comments inside "blocks" of ASCII characters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comment_\(computer_programming)#Styles

You think this is just me who uses your program for coding?  Look at the comments about the program by people who try to use it:

"Okay, I just found something I don't like about Notepad++; it fucks with your comment spacing.

When using multiline comments (/* */), your comments (in PHP anyway), don't keep the same font-size/spacing as the rest of your code. Thus, if you try to write your comments to look right on the majority of text editors, it will look fucked in notepad++. If you write your comments to look good on your notepad++ settings, it will look fucked in regular editors.

--Edit--
        Never mind. It's because somebody had set my comment font to Comic Sans MS (which I had changed it from before), and I just didn't notice. Back to monospace fonts." - http://www.coderprofile.com/forum/135/best-free-code-editor

"I've used Notepad++ for a while, I really disliked the fact that every new install my settings XML file would get overwritten, and what does that guy have with Comic sans MS? Every default style is hard coded into the app, to that strange oddly looking style for comments etc." - http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2007-May/439846.html

"There's only one bad thing about Notepad++ and it is the Comic Sans Serif font for comments." - http://www.mail-archive.com/notepad-plus-plus@lists.sourceforge.net/msg00094.html

"Has anyone figured out how to make Notepad++ use one default font for everything. I dislike reading code comments (or anything) in Comic Sans." - http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=442881

"I'll put a vote in for Notepadd++, just started using it last week after seeing it recommended here and am pretty pleased. though I must say, what's up with the comments in comic sans by default?" - http://godbit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1358

"Por qué Comic Sans MS en los comentarios del Notepad++?? ehh?? ehh??" - http://lacpualpalo.blogspot.com/2006/10/por-qu-comic-sans-ms-en-los.html

"Notepad++ also earns a special bonus fail by using Comic Sans MS as the default font for comments. Whoever thought that was a good idea should be drug out into the street and shot." - http://wonko.com/article/536

"I used it a bit, opened some C# code, some Fortran and its pretty cool - I've added it the "Open-With" for a few file types. I'm trying to be helpful here... let me think... I don't like the use of Comic Sans, and I think it would impress people if you used the Consolas font where available." - http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=40279

"When I have to use a text-editor, Notepad++ is my one of choice. It's interface is very dated, and the default font and colours are disgusting. It uses Comic Sans for christs sake!" - http://www.ejecutive.co.uk/2006/08

This isn't about Comic Sans being an ugly font (although it is); it's about the default font for comments being in a different, proportional font at a different font size than the rest of the code.

> And Notepad++ is fully configurable to meet your needs.

This is not at all easy to figure out.  I shouldn't have to edit configuration files (which will be overwritten every time I upgrade anyway) just to make the program behave correctly.  There are very few users who want this to be the default.  Why do you force them to muck around with configuration every time they install?

• Don HO

Don HO - 2007-12-22

> This is not at all easy to figure out.
          > I shouldn't have to edit configuration files (which will be overwritten every time I upgrade anyway)
          > just to make the program behave correctly

see
          "I HATE "Comic Sans MS"!!!
          How can I set all the fonts under Notepad++ as mono-space font?"
          in
          http://notepad-plus.wiki.sourceforge.net/FAQ

> There are very few users who want this to be the default.

True, and I am one of them who love "Comic Sans MS".

> Why do you force them to muck around with configuration every time they install?

False.  Installer adds the new settings and keeps old settings.

Don

• Nobody/Anonymous

> True, and I am one of them who love "Comic Sans MS".

There are very few users who want a PROPORTIONAL FONT for comments, in a different font size than all the rest of the text.

Why persist in this when you are the only person who likes it this way?  Change it in your own configuration and make a useful, sane configuration for all the users.  Make it an option in the installer, if you have to.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Most computer users have Microsoft Windows installed. I expect you to shout at all other users to trade in their OS'es, right?

• Don HO

Don HO - 2007-12-22

> Why persist in this when you are the only person who likes it this way?

Because Notepad++ is developed for my use originally. I think it's not hard to understand that.

> Change it in your own configuration and make a useful,
              > sane configuration for all the users. Make it an option in the installer, if you have to.

If it was you to do this tool, I would say it makes sens. But it's not the situation here.
              Use Notepad++ as it is, or modify the source code to make it meet your need. Otherwise don't use it.
              This tool is distributed freely (you didn't pay a penny for it, did you?) and I continue to improve it with my vacant time. So don't tell me what I should do. Fair enough?

Don

• Nobody/Anonymous

> Because Notepad++ is developed for my use originally. I think it's not hard to understand that.
                > If it was you to do this tool, I would say it makes sens. But it's not the situation here. 
                > Use Notepad++ as it is, or modify the source code to make it meet your need. Otherwise don't use it.

Your attitude is ridiculous.

> This tool is distributed freely (you didn't pay a penny for it, did you?)

I made a donation a while ago.  I certainly won't again.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Actually, YOUR attitude is ridiculous.  Although it would be nice for comments to default to a monospaced font, it is completely up to the developer.  Donho provides an excellent text editor at no charge to anyone.  Is it really that big of an issue to spend the 10 seconds it takes to change the comment font?  If you don't like it, go find a different editor.  Thank you, donho, for an excellent editor.  It is by far my favorite.  I only wish someone would develop a plugin that enabled the auto-completion feature to work with user-defined classes and functions.

• Don HO

Don HO - 2007-12-22

> Your attitude is ridiculous.

It was you to ask me to do what you want. I have totaly right to say no.
                  Further more, I explain to you my reason, I don't see why my attitude is ridiculous.

> I made a donation a while ago. I certainly won't again.

Then I thank you for your donnation.
                  If you want to take it back, please let me know (logon in your sourceforge's ID).

Don

• Nobody/Anonymous

Hey, you, listen here. I told you N++ is fully configurable. So there is a way to make it meed your NEEDS. Instead of considering doing a little effort to solve what you experience as a problem, you just keep shouting that the developer should do this for you. You think that is fair?

If that's your way of acting and thinking, then I suggest your write your further messages in a very short, plain style. Just tell us what we should do in your opinion. Then we can simply answer to them "we won't" or maybe even "we will" sometimes. At least you won't have to keep crying like a little baby again and again then, because the answer will be there right away.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Yes, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Remove that HORRID &^$^&#% excuse for a font!

I just upgraded from 4.3 to 4.7.5 and wham! - all reset to that Gnnn Gnnn horrid ^%#$%$# thing called <seizure>THAT font</seizure>.   Please, developer(s) READ the writing on the wall. We the users do not want to see <seizure>THAT font</seizure>. 

I have just done a blanket search and replace 106 instances of "<seizure>THAT font</seizure>" with "" and 101 instances of fontSize="8" with fontSize="".  And guess what, I open my file to edit and there it still is, staring at me from my comments... <seizure>THAT font</seizure>.

I'm seriously considering dumping NP++ if this is not fixed, pronto.

• Nobody/Anonymous

OK, that's up to you. I, for one, will be glad if one less person is making comments here about the comment font. I don't like it either, but I've changed it once and it's never bothered me again. I feel so lucky to be able to (still) enjoy N++'s great package.

• Nobody/Anonymous

What about adding 'override comment style', to change every comment font easily?

• Nobody/Anonymous

Theres global override. Select Courier New, fontsize 10 and apply, no more Comic Sans MS.

If changes in stylers.xml dont apply, find the one that Noteopad++ uses in APPDATA or install directory

• Nobody/Anonymous

doesn't 'global override' overrides EVERY attributes?
        i mean a new cheakbox 'Enable global font only for comments' would be appreciated.