Function list for vbscript

steingau
2014-03-13
2014-03-14
  • steingau

steingau - 2014-03-13

I need some help for creating the regex expressions for a function list for vbscript.

There are two kinds of definitions for functions and subs in vbscript:

Funktion test1
    Sub test2

In the function list I want to see only the names of the functions and Subs (in this example test1 and test2) without the prefixes function or Sub.

How do I do that?

• steingau

steingau - 2014-03-13

I found the solution (may be it will help other People):

mainExpr="^[\t ]*[fFsS](unction|ub)[\t ]+\w+"
    expr="((?<=[fF]unction)|(?<=[sS]ub))[\t ]+\w+"/>

• THEVENOT Guy

THEVENOT Guy - 2014-03-14

Hi Steingau,

Thanks for sharing your results with the N++ community :-)

I just want to add two points :

1)

The regex, used in your mainExpr item, would also match lines beginning with one of the four words Fub, fub, Sunction or sunction !!

Of course, misspelling the word Function or Sub, in such that way, is almost impossible. But, in theory, this regex should be strictly re-written :

mainExpr="^[\t ]*([fF]unction|[sS]ub)[\t ]+\w+"

2)

The regex, used in your expr item, can be simplified :

A first idea, that comes to mind, is to use ONLY ONE lookbehind, with the alternative, inside round brackets, as below :

expr="(?<=([fF]unction|[sS]ub))[\t ]+\w+"/>

But this regex in INVALID, because the two terms of the alternative MUST have the same length, when used inside a lookbehind. Obviously, it's NOT the case :
    [fF]unction is a 8 characters string and [Ss]ub is a 3 characters string !

But, luckily, there's a special form \K, which can REPLACE lookbehind, with non-fixed length :

expr="([fF]unction|[sS]ub)\K[\t ]+\w+"/>

• This regex try, first, to match one of the four words Function, function, Sub, or sub

• Then, the \K form FORGET any previous search matched. So, the FINAL search is ONLY the regex [\t ]+\w+

Just note that, on the contrary, you can use lookahead with non-fixed length, as, for example, the regex ABC(?=(DE|WXYZ)), which would match the string ABC, ONLY if it's FOLLOWED with the string DE or the string WXYZ !

You will find good documentation, about the new PERL Common Regular Expressions (PCRE), used by N++, since the 6.0 version, at the TWO addresses below :

http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_48_0/libs/regex/doc/html/boost_regex/syntax/perl_syntax.html

http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_48_0/libs/regex/doc/html/boost_regex/format/boost_format_syntax.html

The FIRST link concerns the syntax of regular expressions in SEARCH

The SECOND link concerns the syntax of regular expressions in REPLACEMENT

Cheers,

guy038

Last edit: THEVENOT Guy 2014-03-14
  • steingau

steingau - 2014-03-14

Very good comment from an expert!

I didn't know the option \k, so thanks for this tip and for the links.

Cheers
    steingau

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks