Opening By Default With NPP

• Nobody/Anonymous

I would like to start by saying that this is an awesome program and will continue to use it as my one and only text editor along with source code browser (the highlighting is great - never realized that coding php in plain jain Notepad sucked :)

One question though, I'm on WinXP Pro and when trying to make Npp the default editor for various files (cfg, ini, etc) from the File Types editor (Windows Explorer -> Tools -> Folder Options -> File Types) it errors. All I did was change the default "Open" program to Npp. Did I do something wrong?

• Don HO

Don HO - 2004-08-10

I don't see the error in your manipulation procedure. Maybe you should add "%1" after the path of npp?

By the way, I'm planning to do the association of file extension with notepad++.

If someone knows which registry key that I should create/modify, please let me know.

• Nobody/Anonymous

I messed with it for a while to no avail. I then noticed that it only didn't open files within directories with spaces (ie C:\Program Files\Whatever) but would work fine with directories without spaces in the name.

I then uninstalled it and then reinstalled to a location without a space (C:\Notepad++) and it will now open anything. Not sure why, but it works. :) Love the program and thanks for the quick response!

• Don HO

Don HO - 2004-08-11

Notepad++ do work with the path which contains white space.
        The question is "How do you associate Notepad++ with the file extension ?".
        My experience is that if you want to add a registry key by yourself, you should do something like that (with the double quote):
        "C:\Program Files\Whatever\notepad++.exe" "%1"
        to make sure the shell interprets correctely the string.

In the latest release (updated on 09/08), Notepad++ Installer do create the correct registry key for the context menu (right mouse click) under explorer. So there shouldn't be a problem of opening any sort of file if you use the context menu.

• Nobody/Anonymous

I reinstalled bak into Program Files and tried adding the "%1" and it works like a charm. I realize now thats what you meant with your second post. Thanks for sticking with me and the excellent response times are refreshing! All systems go. :)

• Nobody/Anonymous

And to add it to N++ preferences, it's very easy to find out the registry keys to associate filetypes. I'm very lazy so instead of tell you the keys, I'll tell the way to find it ;-)

Just create a file with a exotic extension. Asociate it with notepad++ using the windows tools and then look for this extension in the registry. The place is the same for all filetypes.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks