2014-08-08
2014-08-10
  • T. Bug Reporter

T. Bug Reporter - 2014-08-08

Some of my files get edited frequently;
    some of my files only get edited about once a year; and
    some of my files never get edited - but of those,
    some of them get viewed frequently, and
    some of them get viewed once and are never needed again.

Naturally, any file editor's "recent files" feature will have no way to know which of these categories a given file falls into, but I'd like to be able to manually clean out the recent files list, leaving only those files that I'm likely to open again.

My previous text editor (HTML-Kit) had an option to remove individual entries from its recent files list. Like a lot of things in that program, it was buggy and cumbersome, but I'd learned over the years to work with it. Does Notepad++ have any similar facility - or a plugin to add such a feature - or am I always limited to an "all or nothing" complete wipe of the list?

• Loreia2

Loreia2 - 2014-08-09

Hi,

this information is saved in one of XML files in your APPDATA directory. Find it there and edit in editor like Windows Notepad. I don't think you can edit this list directly in Notepad++ without messing with XML files.

Regards,
    Loreia

• THEVENOT Guy

THEVENOT Guy - 2014-08-09

Hello T. Bug Reporter,

As Loreai2 said, in his post, you can easily control the items listed in the Recent Files List :-)

This list is saved at the end of the config.xml file, in section <History ... </History>.

Depending of your N++ installation, you may find the config.xml file in two possible locations :

• In the same directory of the Notepad++.exe file, if exists a zero length file doLocalConf.xml, in N++ folder ( local or portable configuration )

• In the directory %appdata%\Notepad++ for a standard installation ( file doLocalConf.xml absent )

In that case, in a console DOS window, just execute the line below :

notepad %appdata%\Notepad++\config.xml and suppress some of the lines, in the <History ...... </History> section.

Of course, this option could be integrated to N++ code... but it's up to Don Ho, to decide what is worth or not, among all the possible features requested !

IMPORTANT :

Do NOT change the config.xml file from "inside" Notepad++, as N++ update the 3 files config.xml, shortcuts.xml and session.xml, on exit !!

Best Regards

guy038

Last edit: THEVENOT Guy 2014-08-09
  • T. Bug Reporter

T. Bug Reporter - 2014-08-10

Yes, I already figured this out, but I was hoping to find a more GUI (less error-prone) way to do it. Thanks anyway.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks