Menu

Remove warning when file location does not exist?

2015-05-20
2015-05-20
  • Johnny Smithson

Johnny Smithson - 2015-05-20

Hello, I'm a new user of Notepad++ with a small problem I hope can be fixed easily.

I like to have Notepad++ open with a few simple files available for quick reference, but not for editing
    some of the files will sometimes be on removeable media such as SD cards or USB drives that I prefer to remove when not in use.

Whenever I go back to view these open files in Notepad++ I get a warning that the file location is no longer available, I would like to remove this warning prompt so that I can easily switch between files located on this computer and those which are on removeable media that are not present at the moment.

Is this possible, or am I doomed to forever receive the prompt whenever I switch to view these files?

Thanks for your help.

Johnny.

• Andreas Jonsson

Andreas Jonsson - 2015-05-20

Go to Settings -> Preferences -> Misc and disable "File status auto detection".

• Johnny Smithson

Yes I've already tried that and unfortuantely it has no effect. I still get the prompt that there is no disk in the drive whenever I switch back to viewing the file.

• Andreas Jonsson

I just tried it and it seems to work.

What is the exact message you're getting?

• Johnny Smithson

"There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive G:."

• Andreas Jonsson

That string does not exist anywhere in the N++ source code, so it's unlikely (but not impossible) that it's coming from N++. File system autodetection should display "The file ... doesn't exist anymore. Keep this file in editor?".

Are you running any plugins? Does the problem still occur if you disable all plugins temporarily (rename C:\Program Files (x86)\Notepad++\plugins to something else)?

• Johnny Smithson

I'm not using any plugins. I am using the portable version just to try out the program, do you think installing the program would remove the problem?

• Johnny Smithson

OK thank you for your help I will look into fixing it via the info in the links you gave.

One other thing though is I've been comparing a similar product (Notetab Lite) and it does not give the same error under the same conditions, i.e. when using and removing the exact same files on the same drive - so it seems there is something particular to Notepad++ that makes Windows give the error prompt, but I will fix it via the registry hack as I prefer Notepad++ to the other programs I've tried out. Thanks again for your quick help.

• Andreas Jonsson

Yes, N++ is probably doing something wrong here but it's difficult to see exactly what. My initial guess was that if file system autodetection was turned off, N++ would check if the file had been deleted but it wouldn't show its own message (but would inadvertently trigger the Windows message). This is not the case.