Find "In selection"

2013-08-22
2014-01-13
  • SlowThinker

SlowThinker - 2013-08-22

it looks like a bug here:

If I check "In selection" in the Find/Replace window, the effect is that it doesn't search from the cursor but from the beginning of the document. The text selection has no effect.

(still the checkbox "In selection" is greyed out if no text is selected)

• johanponken

johanponken - 2013-08-23

It's hard to see, but there's a borderline encircling the In Selection check-box, and the Replace All button. So, that check-box works (as intended, I deduce) with that button only.

And, for me at least, the search starts after the selection. The selection is then dropped, as the new found section is highlighted.

• Loreia2

Loreia2 - 2013-08-23

Hi,

I use "in selection" search all the time and never had any issues with it. Can you guys reproduce this problem with plugins disabled (just temporarily rename plugins subdirectory to say plugins2)?

BR
    Loreia

• SlowThinker

SlowThinker - 2014-01-04

Now it works as expected.

• THEVENOT Guy

THEVENOT Guy - 2014-01-05

Hi SlowThinker, Johanponken and Loeria2,

Since I know Notepad++ ( from the 4.9.2 version ! ), the behaviour of "my" N++ was always the one described by Johanponken, that is to say :

• The in Selection square button option, in the Replace tab of the Search/Replacement dialog, ONLY works then you click on the Replace All button. In addition, this initial selection must be a normal selection and NOT a rectangular selection !!

• If a normal, or rectangular, selection of text exists, any search begins at the first character AFTER that selection and the selection of the matched characters replace the previous selection.

So, SlowThinker and Loreia2 I'm wondering, by some miracle, how you can perform a search in selection, only, in Notepad++ ???

May be, I miss a classic feature of N++ :((

Many thanks, in advance, for your answers :-)

Best Regards,

guy038

P.S. :

On the contrary, if you use the S/R dialog of the TextFx plugin ( TextFx --> TextFX Quick --> Find/Replace ) or with the CTRL + R shortcut, you can perform both Searches and/or Replacements in a normal or rectangular selection. Of course, that selection must exist before the search or replacement process -:)

Last edit: THEVENOT Guy 2014-01-05
  • Loreia2

Loreia2 - 2014-01-13

Hi Guy,

I was wrong here. I use selection only to replace stuff, and for regular search I almost never use dialog. I just F3 and CTRL+F3 work much faster for me.

BR,
    Loreia