Notepad++ opens up document several pages up from bottom

• John Porridge

John Porridge - 2014-02-03

Hi, I use Notepad++ to write my diary in, and every time I open Notepad++, or change to another tab and change back to the tab with my diary on, the display is showing about 100 lines up from the bottom of the file, and obviously I want to continue my diary from the bottom, where I left the cursor when I saved it - and when I left the diary tab and then went back to it.
    For example, currently the end of my diary is line 312, but when I go to another tab and then go back, it has line 274 at the top of the page, and line 284 at the bottom, so I have to manually scroll down every time.

I don't know if this isn't a bug and maybe there is some setting I can change to stop it from doing this?

• cchris

cchris - 2014-02-08

Try turning word wrap off. If you have long lines which would go at the top of the pge you are displaying, this may explain.
    Also you can avoid scrolling to the end of the document b hitting Ctrl-End.

• John Porridge

John Porridge - 2014-02-09

Hi CChris, turning word wrap off works, but then I can't view most of the document without scrolling left and right. Thanks for the Ctrl-End tip, that works, but isn't what I'm describing a bug? Presumably when you open a document, it shouldn't display a point several pages up from the end of the document? Is it because it's trying to display a certain number of paragraphs, and presumes they are each on one line only, and thus the first paragraph it displays is, say, paragraph 20 from the bottom, which is actually five pages from the bottom of the file?

• cchris

cchris - 2014-02-16

N++ tries to display the line that was first visible when you closed. If the line is wrapped and is very, very long, then you could observe this behaviour. How long are your physical, ie unwrapped, lines?

If this is the problem, then one would need to tweak the way sessions are read in.
    Could you attach an excerpt of your file exhibiting the problem, for us to test? Or email it to me at quasar850 hat rediffmail doubt com ?

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks