What bitmap format does NP++ use?

2012-12-06
2012-12-13
  • Camilo Martin

Camilo Martin - 2012-12-06

Hi, I've noticed NP++ bitmaps seem to have transparency, yet I have no idea about what format that actually is. It has a BM header and all, but the format does not seem to be entirely standard. I tried replacing the bitmaps with custom made ones, and even the file sizes vary greately, moreover I cannot seem to be able to change these bitmaps and have NP++ read them (for example if you exchange one of them using something like Resource Hacker it won't be read).

What tool was used in creating them? Thanks.

Edit: I'm talking about the .bmp files that can be found in npp.6.*.src.7z\PowerEditor\src\icons\, I've attached one.

Last edit: Camilo Martin 2012-12-06
  • Camilo Martin

Camilo Martin - 2012-12-11

I'm still interested, in case somebody knows :P

• Camilo Martin

Camilo Martin - 2012-12-13

Ok, solved it. If someone is interested, go here: http://stackoverflow.com/q/13830780/124119

tl;dr: NP++ uses 8-bit indexed BMPs with a fixed palette size (256 colors for a 16x16 icon). This does not make any sense (why a 256-color palette for a 256-pixel image?), and probably whoever coded that was very sleep-deprived, but in case you want to customize NP++, that's how. The transparency is, AFAIK, the first color of the bitmap, or some color in a corner, I dunno. It's not necessarily #C0C0C0.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks