NPP++ Help ~ NppHelp.chm ~ HTML alternative

• Vera

Vera - 2011-07-29

for all who prefer to continue using the previous way of getting help via CHM-file or rather have a lightweight/ resizable (and even easy adjustable) Html-Help that fits on the screen (in the browser) I'd like to share two workarounds.

It's not that I wouldn't fancy the design of the official help-version (or understand it's mission to become multilingual), but to me it's simply unusable (missing search/ quick navi … and unfit size) and probably to the one or other user as well.

At the moment CChris maintains the current help and offers it for download on the NpWiki:
    Notepad++ Guides/User Guides:

There you'll find 3 versions:
    * User manual: contains the current NppHelp.chm
    * Project files: contains all files needed to compile the chm-help with MS-Help-Workshop
    * Mini-site version: contains all html-files including table of contents and top-navigation

*************** NppHelp.chm ***************

To assign NppHelp.chm to work again as a common help (via F1) here's a workaround:

place the CHM in NP++s root directory, start NP++
    Run/F5 -> to open a dialog

1. insert as command: "$NPP_DIRECTORY\NppHelp.chm"
    2. Save: Namen (eg myHelp) & Shortcut (eg also F1) close dialog -> this will then apear as new entry in the Run-menu
    3. open HotkeyMapper (modify shortcut): MainMenu: search F1 (Info) -> and change it to eg None (or any free hotkey)

Now hitting F1 will open the handy/searchable help again ~ enjoy

*************** lightweight Html-Help ***************

To use a browser based help (as predetermined right now), but in a simple/flexible html style, one may do the following:

1. download the Mini-site version
    2. in NPP root folder: rename (to disable but save) the whole \user.manual folder
    3a. create 2 new folders: \user.manual\documentation
    3b. in \documentation create a new file (or copy the original): notepad-online-document.html

3c*. put the following redirection into that …-document.html:

<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0"; URL=HTML/Help Contents.html">

4. extract the Mini-site version and place its HTML folder into \documentation as well

Done! ~ open Notepad - hit F1 and the helpoutline will appear in your browser ~ enjoy none the less

*************** notes ***************

I'd recommend to open the contents target links in new tabs because at the moment some of the inner chapter-contents links are broken (they miss their '.html' extensions). (it concerns chapters: 1,2,5,12,20)

much success on finding answers ~ Vera

• cchris

cchris - 2011-07-31

Can you pinpoint a couple entries (which page and which link) missing rgz .html extension? I couldn't find any faulty href.
    Also, can you confirm that you are using checking the 5.9.3 version for the help, and whether it is the english or french version that has a problem?

• Vera

Vera - 2011-08-01

a mail is on the way

But to leave one example: opening '2.4. Activating' you can't switch to 'File Management'
    It's not directly the missing extension but the missing quotation around the links containing spaces, so the browser can't grab the full filename.

• cchris

cchris - 2011-08-01

Oh I see…This should happen only for the Up link, doesn't it?
    In this case, I fixed the issue in my script. Soon uploading new mini-sites.

• cchris

cchris - 2011-08-01

Update complete.