How to search for multiple newlines?

Jep Z11
2013-11-09
2013-11-10
  • Jep Z11

Jep Z11 - 2013-11-09

Tried to find the answer and seen there's lots on the subject of newlines, yet I can not find the answer to this simple question.
    In other editors, \n\n will find two lines but not in NP++. Nor does \n\r find anything, so, what should I use?
    Plz, just an answer to this question, not some redirect as I am dizzy on how much there is on this subject. Thanks!

• THEVENOT Guy

THEVENOT Guy - 2013-11-09

Hello Jep Z11,

I don't need to redirect you, at all !

Indeed, your two search regex ( \n\n or \n\r ) coudn't find any EOL, if your file has a Windows format, because :

• In a file, with a Windows format, an End of Line is represented by the two characters \r\n ( \x0d\x0a )

• In a file, with an UNIX/OSX format, an End of Line is represented by the unique character \n ( \x0a )

• In a file, with an Old Mac format, an End of Line is represented by the unique character \r ( \x0d )

( Remenber that you can change this format of EOL in menu Edit\EOL Conversion of Notepad++ )

Moreover, the special syntax \R can search any kind of EOL. Quite nice :-)

And, as the symbol ^ represents the very beginning of a line :

• A single blank line, in any format, can be matched with the regex ^\R

• A list of consecutive blank lines, in any format, can be matched with the regex ^\R+

So, if you wish :

• To delete any blank line of a file, use the simple Search/Replacement below :

SEARCH : ^\R

REPLACE : Leave EMPTY

• To delete any surplus blank line of a file, use the simple Search/Replacement below :

SEARCH : ^(\R)+

REPLACE : \1

As the form \R is enclosed in round brakets, it represents the group 1, which is re-written, in the replacement part, as a single \r\n, or \n or \r, according the the file's EOL format !

That's all !

( Tested with Notepad++ version 6.5.1 )

Cheers,

guy038

Last edit: THEVENOT Guy 2013-11-09
  • Jep Z11

Jep Z11 - 2013-11-10

Thank you 'thevenot' for this clear, elaborate answer. Can see why there is so much ado on this as it requires a bit more than the average editor does. (yes, 'average'is a brand :) )
    It could be better explained in the help, I couldn't find it.

NP++ is nice to me though for its features on css and html editing, so I guess I'll be a new user.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks