SourceForge has been redesigned. Learn more.
Close

How to stop NP++ from prompting to 'create new file' for old directory/filename every time it launches...

Peter Rauh
2013-08-22
2013-08-26
  • Peter Rauh

Peter Rauh - 2013-08-22

On launch, NP++ (Win7 PC) looks for old file "todo.txt" and asks 'create new file?' with old directory/filename prompt.

I know this is due to my previously having moved a group of txt files to a new directory to account for DROPBOX and mobile device app synchronization needs. I cannot find a solution to ending the application's automatic query for this file's creation. I have read that moving directories after creation was a mistake and wish I had learned that earlier ;)

The session that loads includes the current 'todo.txt' file from it's current location, but I feel like an idiot for not discovering a solution on my own. Much appreciate in advance any guidance to the spot on my tie/solution within NP++.

Many thanks - mattmrdck / Los Angeles

• Peter Rauh

Peter Rauh - 2013-08-23

Can anyone explain how to end Notepad++'s search (and prompt to create anew...) for an older file at launch? I really do appreciate any/all assistance in solving this constant dead-end query...

• cchris

cchris - 2013-08-25

In Preferences -> Recent File History, is "Don't check at launch time" checked, as it is by default?

Uncheck it next time. N++ will load slower, but will remove references to the old files. After that, check the box again for better perfirmancce.

CChris

• Peter Rauh

Peter Rauh - 2013-08-26

CChris: Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I had previously unchecked "Don't check at launch time" and the same behavior continued/s... I did confirm it was unchecked again just now and exited and started the program again, and I am still prompted as described in the OP. This has been a very lengthy, frustrating obstacle for a small, annoying matter.

I appreciate your input and suggestion. Many thanks - mattmrdck / Los Angeles