Bug when Windows "Server" Service is turned off? (WinXP/Win7)

2014-01-07
2014-01-19
  • Yunga Palatino

Yunga Palatino - 2014-01-07

Hello,

This is just to bring to the attention that if the windows "Server" (1) service is turned off, the Notepad++ window won't show up. The process is started, but nothing appears on screen, you need to kill it via the task manager. It is easily reproducible, and this happens both on XP and 7. If the Server service is running, Notepad++ works fine.

Not sure if it's an important issue or not, I'm just used to turn off all unnecessary services if i can, and almost everybody leaves their services configuration untouched…

Have a nice day!
    Yunga.

(1) Description: Supports file, print, and named-pipe sharing over the network for this computer. If this service is stopped, these functions will be unavailable. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.

• cchris

cchris - 2014-01-12

1/ Does it happen without any plugin loaded? Try renaming "plugins" to say "lugins" and try again.

CChris

• Yunga Palatino

Yunga Palatino - 2014-01-13

Hello,

Thanks for your reply, you were right :)

I started by renaming %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Notepad++\plugins, launched Notepad++ with the "Server" service stopped and it worked nicely. I later reinstalled each plugins one by one and found that the culprit was Explorer (1.8.2). The same problem happens with Light Explorer (2.0).

You already replied to several posts about this here and here, but i failed to find them earlier. I also tried the Explorer fork you mention but the same thing happens. Perhaps it should be a good idea to write a little note about that somewhere in the Plugin Central? Btw, It only concerns the Server service, the Workstation service being disabled doesn't interfere with Notepad++.

As of now, what should i do? I guess both Jens Lorenz and krskrs don't maintain the plugins anymore, but anyway try to contact them, or just post a follow-up in the Plugin development forum? or eventually shut-up and turn on that damn service... :)

Last edit: Yunga Palatino 2014-01-13
  • cchris

cchris - 2014-01-18

Try contcting them directly, as I haven't heard from them in a long time.

CChris

• THEVENOT Guy

THEVENOT Guy - 2014-01-19

Hi Yunga,

Wow..., It's really rare to meet someone who pay attention to how many services are working, on his computer !!!

As for me, on an old home XP configuration, much before I knew Notepad++, I changed to "manual" plenty of unnecessary services and also disabled COMS and Parallel ports. So, it remained ONLY 18 services, with automatic launch ! But this XP configuration worked quite well, without any problem. But, I must agree that, at this period, I wasn't connected to Internet !!

I still have that minimum list of these 18 services, but it wouldn't be worth for you, as this sorted list, of the services.msc program, is written in French !

But happily, nowadays, with the powerful of new computers, the suppression of non necessary services is not so important :) Of course, It's even better if you do so !

Enjoy our loved editor !

Best Regards and... all my wishes for that new year 2014,

guy038

Last edit: THEVENOT Guy 2014-01-19