File type replaced with 'Notepad ++ Document"

2006-05-12
2012-11-13
  • Nobody/Anonymous

Hello,

Great application, however, when viewing files that are now opened with Notepadd ++ in windows explorer, the type which use to say *.java, *.html, *.txt... now says *.Notepad++ Document.

Needles to say, but I will say anyway, makes for hard time to figure out what file I am actually clicking on.  Is it the Fun.jsp file, the Fun.java file, or the Fun.make file?

How can I return the Type to the files ACTUAL type!

• Anonymous - 2006-05-30

By "file types" I meant Explorer's Tools -> Folder Options -> File Associations, the same dialog that Mirko was talking about.
      Just select a file type and click "Advanced". At the top of the dialog you'll see a field for a file type description - enter whatever you want.
      Sorry for not being descriptive enough.

BTW there are "default extensions" settings in the language settings (styler.xml), so I think it should be easy to implement setting file type descriptions as, for example, "Notepad++ <language name here> Document".

• Nobody/Anonymous

The problem with the "Tools -> Folder Options -> File Associations" solution is that when you change the "type"-text for one type that is associated with notepad++, ALL types assosiated with notepad++ will now have that text! (at least in winxp prof sp2).

Is the only true solution to make the old notepad swap?

• Anonymous - 2006-05-13

Is your explorer configured to hide files' extensions? If so, you should turn this option off, its not the programmer's way of using your computer ;) And the N++ is the "programmer's editor" after all...

All right, jokes aside, you can open the "file types" dialog and manually change the file types' desriptions to make them different for each file type you care about.

• Nobody/Anonymous

You may also peek into Windows' folder options and manually associate *.foo with Notepad++. Just a bit more uneasy...

Bye. Mirko.

• Nobody/Anonymous

well, i had the same problem. i installed NP++ to make some scripts and NP++ opened them instead of windows execute them. now i need to execute .BAT files and i don't know how to do it... :s
      where i may find that 'file types' dialog that you're talking about? will it help to solve my problem?

• Nobody/Anonymous

1. reinstall N++ and look, its gone

2. look in registry under "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\batfile"
      where the focus of "shell\open\command" is.

in my German OS WinXP Prof. SP2 looks like so:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\batfile\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\batfile\shell\edit]

;Your own path to N++.exe here!!
      [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\batfile\shell\edit\command]
      @="C:\\Programme\\Notepad++\\notepad++.exe %1"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\batfile\shell\open]
      "EditFlags"=hex:00,00,00,00
      @=""
      ;this is important for you!
      [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\batfile\shell\open\command]
      @="\&quot;%1\&quot; %*"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\cmdfile\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\cmdfile\shell\edit]

;Your own path to N++.exe here!!
      [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\cmdfile\shell\edit\command]
      @="C:\\Programme\\Notepad++\\notepad++.exe %1"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\cmdfile\shell\open]
      "EditFlags"=hex:00,00,00,00
      @=""

;this is important for you!
      [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\cmdfile\shell\open\command]
      @="\&quot;%1\&quot; %*"

Greets

• Nobody/Anonymous

I wrote:
         "well, i had the same problem. i installed NP++ to make some scripts and NP++ opened them instead of windows execute them. now i need to execute .BAT files and i don't know how to do it... :s
      where i may find that 'file types' dialog that you're talking about? will it help to solve my problem?"

and i found a way to solve it... i reinstalled windowsXP...lol... now i'm using GridinSoft Notepad 3.2. it does the same as Np++ but it dont have the same problems... i'll wait for a new version of NP++ and try it, but i'm enjoying this new notepad...

• Nobody/Anonymous

Well, I guess reinstalling Windows just to solve association problems is (lol, I don't find proper words :D)

However, Don, you got a nice suggestion!

Bye. Mirko (jakutsk@libero.it)