Notepad++ can't open a file in the etc directory of windows

2013-01-27
2013-02-03
  • Seth Parker

Seth Parker - 2013-01-27

This is peculiar to my system only at this time. On windows 8 and I want to edit the host file in windows\system32\Drivers\etc. Now I can navigate there in windows explorer and right click on hosts and select edit with Notepad++. Navigating in Explorer to this parh "Windows\System32\Drivers\etc" is fine and I can see the hosts file. The same goes for Windows Notepad. Now navigating there in Notepad++ I see this path "Windows\System32\drivers\". Notice that drivers has a small "d" instead of a capital "D". There is no etc directory visible. Now I am admin. This does not improve if I right click on Notepad++ and select run as administrator.

Again this is peculiar to my system only at this time. Much of my friends are still on Win 7 and haven't migrated to Win 8. Now unfortunately I no longer have an image of Win 7 to go back to to test it.

This is not a major issue. Just frustrating as there are times I want to add addresses to the hosts file to block maleware and adware on my system. I know my security suite does this as well but I like to be sure. I have also loaded Editpad Lite and no issues seeing that path and the hosts file. I really like Notepad++ over other editors so I am wanting to see if there is anyway to fix this.

Again this is not a major issue at all. I may edit that file once every couple of months. So I can ues explorer to get there and right click on it to edit it.

• cchris

cchris - 2013-01-27

This definitely looks like a redirection issue on all Win 64 bit systems. Since Notepad+ 32 bit application, Windows won't show it the real contents of System32, which is 64 bit specific.

The following post may help you. It could also help N++ to behave on 64 bit machines:
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8775841/the-system-cannot-find-the-path-specified

CChris

• Seth Parker

Seth Parker - 2013-01-27

As I said it worked on my friends system with no issues and he is running 64bit. So why would it work in his and not mine?

That link you provided doesn't give me any incite on how to fix this. That is all programming stuff and I am not a programmer

• cchris

cchris - 2013-02-03

So at least please drop a bug report on the Tickets / Bugs interface. Note that I have a french system and could reproduce your issue.

CChris