How to get a second duplicate column

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2013-06-01

For reasons that I won't go into, I need to do the following
    I have a long list of references (numbers and letters)

I simply need to add a tab break after each one and insert the same reference to give me

R587_7AC R587_7AC

What would be the best way to do this please?

Sorry but I'm not very good with Notepad ++. I have read the manual a long time ago but I forget things and don't have too much time at work.So I prefer the forum

• dail8859

dail8859 - 2013-06-01

Ah, the power of regular expressions. You can do a Find/Replace in regular expression mode. Use ^(\w+)$ for the "Find" textbox, and \1\t\1 in the "Replace" textbox.

For a little explanation of ^(\w+)$. The ^ character says find the beginning of a line. Everything in the parenthesis is a group (this being group 1 since it is the first and only group in the expression). \w is any word character, that is A-Z, 0-9, and underscore. The + says find 1 or more consecutive word characters, and finally the $ is the end of a line.

Using \1\t\1 says replace it with group 1, followed by a tab, and then group one again.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2013-06-01

Hello Dali8859

It worked first time and I was also able to fine my expressions beginning and ending with " and even those in brackets by changing the regex slightly (i'm not good at regexes but I'm getting better)

THEVENOT Guy - 2013-06-01

Hi, Safe Tex,

The Search/Replacement and the explanations, proposed by dail8859, are quite correct and useful, but it's still possible to simplify the regex, in the SEARCH part !

Just use  .+  in the SEARCH text box and  $0\t$0 in the REPLACEMENT text box

Explanations :

.+ represents all the contents of any NON empty line

$0 represents the totality of the SEARCH string

Of course, it's the "initial" example and I know, as you said in your last post, that you "customized" your regex afterwards, to suit your proper needs !

P.S. :

You will find good documentation, about the new Perl Common Regular Expressions (PCRE), used by N++, since the 6.0 version, at the TWO addresses below :

The FIRST link concerns the syntax of regular expressions in SEARCH

The SECOND link concerns the syntax of regular expressions in REPLACEMENT

Last edit: THEVENOT Guy 2013-06-01