Frequent crashes under Vista

2007-06-28
2012-11-13
  • Nobody/Anonymous

First of all, let me say that npp++ is really cool and I recommend it to friends as a great little text editor. I like nearly everything about it and use it all the time.

However, last month I got a new Windows Vista laptop and noticed an immediate drop in stability. npp often crashes when I try to save a new file. Unfortunately, I usually lose work because my text wasn't saved yet! When I say 'often', I mean roughly once a day.

I have upgraded to v4.1 and v4.1.2 but see no improvement.

I am willing to troubleshoot and/or help but am not sure of the best way. Suggestions welcome.

best regards,
    -Graham

• Don HO

Don HO - 2007-06-28

Could you just remove all the plugins to see if such situation is improved under Vista?

Don

• Nobody/Anonymous

Sure thing.

I removed the contents of C:\Program Files\Notepad++\plugins, restarted npp++, and will use it for a few days in this configuration.

thanks!
        -Graham

• Nobody/Anonymous

So far, so good!

Will let you know if I have problems in the future.

Luckily I wasn't using any of the plugins. However, if I want to in the future, I imagine I enable what I need and hope for the best? (i.e., hope they aren't responsible for any crashes).

best regards,
          -Graham

• Don HO

Don HO - 2007-07-02

If you can help us to found out which plugins causes the crash, it'll be great.

BTW, can you describ how to reproduce the crash under Vista?
            AFAIK, TextFX, ConvertExt, QuickText and SpellChecker are "crash free" plugins.

Don

• Nobody/Anonymous

I was having crashes too and just found that the plugins in Program Files were different than the ones in the AppData dir. This seems to happen when you choose different options for using AppData during upgrades vs initial installation. Perhaps the installer could be modified to move the settings if the user does this?

• Nobody/Anonymous

Uninstall Vista, Re-install XP.

• MJG

MJG - 2007-07-01

Also, be sure you have write permission for the directory when you save a file.  The typical user under XP had admin rights by default, but that is not so with Vista.  --Joel