Double View annoyances

2013-08-31
2013-09-22
  • Fool4UAnyway

Fool4UAnyway - 2013-08-31

There are two things that annoy me in my current Notepad++ installation.

The Ctrl+Tab/Ctrl+Shift+Tab navigation isn't limited to the View that is currently active.
    I would expect to loop through the documents in the active View only.

Currently, when I Ctrl+Tab from the last document in the Second View, the next I get to is the first document in the First View. This makes no sense to me and results in me losing my active document in the First View. There is no way to easily get back.

In the Windows... documents list, only the documents of the active View are shown. This also bugs me, because when I am not in the View I know my document is in, I have to close the dialog, activate the other view and then open the dialog again.

I would like to see an easy way to switch between Views in the Windows... dialog, so you can always activate a document in either View.
    The best solution may simply be to have the document list of both Views at hand right-away. They could be shown next to each other, or alternatively on their own tab page within the dialog, or switched to by an alternating button.

Last edit: Fool4UAnyway 2013-08-31
  • Fool4UAnyway

Fool4UAnyway - 2013-09-18

Here's another single or double view inconsistency.

I sometimes edit a file and save it with a new name. I was surprised this was possible, even if I had a file with that same name (full path) already open in Notepad++. However, the other day I got an error complaining about that. I think this was when that file was open in the other view.

I think this check should be general, in that it checks existence for the new file name in both views at any time, or not complain about it at all, or make these two alternatives optional.

The same may apply to Notepad++ recognizing changes in a file outside of Notepad++. I'm not sure, but the message popup about this may also be dependent on which view the file is open in.

• cchris

cchris - 2013-09-22

Regarding the first request: please file a feature request ticket. The Windows dialog could hindicate which view is on and include a switch button enabled when the other view has documets.

About the checking: I duplicated a file in both view, then tried to save another file as the duplicated one. No matter what, I was told the file existed and was prompted whether to oeverride - you can decline at this point.
    So perhaps a more precise scenario to reproduce problem is needed (Win 8/64 N++ 6.4.5).

CChris

• Fool4UAnyway

Fool4UAnyway - 2013-09-22

You should not start with a duplicated file. The "target" file has to be in either the same view, or the other. Apparently it makes a difference when saving yet another file with the same name as the target file.