Session Management

Anonymous
2011-02-22
2013-06-29
  • Anonymous - 2011-02-22

Better session/workspace/project management is needed in Notepad++

There needs to be a menu or options for the following commands:
    #1 Open (or load as at present, but open is more understandable) - opening a new session should automatically first save and close any existing session (but not save and close any existing non-session files).
    #2 Close - this would save the session and close all current files
    #3 Save - like a save file dialogue. Saves the current session without prompting for the name and location unless it is a new session.
    #4 Save as… - for renaming or moving the save location of an existing session
    #5 Recent sessions - a list of 5-10
    #6 Default session directory - where all session files can be stored. Otherwise they would default to being saved in the current working directory.
    #7 Reload last session on starting Notepad++ - this exists.

At present the 'save session' dialogue is in fact a 'save as' dialogue, so every time you have to remember what you called the session and navigate to the correct directory which is a waste of time.

• cchris

cchris - 2011-02-22

While there is a number of IdeaTorrent requests that loosely match yours , so you could vote for some or add your distinctive soulutios, I think use of a specific extension for session files would help at least loctaing them. Set it from Settings -> Preferences -> MISC, lower right corner.
    As for where your sessions would be… Is creating a Sessions subfolder something N++ should do for you?

For IdeaToorrent existing feature requests, please see http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/notepad-plus/index.php?title=IdeaTorrent_Summary#Main_section. As some ideas have uninformative titles, don't forget to check idea#144 s well.

CChris

• Anonymous - 2011-02-22

As for where your sessions would be… Is creating a Sessions subfolder something N++ should do for you?

I've already created the directory. I want N++ to have an option to remember where it is and offer that when first saving a new session, or, if no default directory is set it would default to saving the session in the current working folder. Since there is currently no 'save' command only a 'save as' command, I'm having to navigate back to the correct directory every single time, which is a real pain.

• cchris

cchris - 2011-02-23

I see… This is one of the ideas that were put forwar as mentioned earlier I don't know exactly in which ideas on IdeaTorrent exactly.

CChris

• bossom

bossom - 2013-06-29

npp session has an extension from npp developer
    like in online manual npp workspace/project: *.nppws?

• THEVENOT Guy

THEVENOT Guy - 2013-06-29

Hi All,

Although I program for personal needs only, I don't use any project manager, for the time being. The present features of N++, concerning sessions, are quite enough for me !

But, I don't doubt that a real strong Project Manager should be very profitable to professional or advanced developers !

Meanwhile, one may find interest to use the plug-in Session Manager

Just look the different features of this plug-in at the address below :

http://mfoster.com/npp/SessionMgr.html

BTW, the look of this site is quite "impeccable" ! Very clear and nice presentation !

As usual, just download this plug-in with the Plugin Manager

Cheers,

Guy038

Last edit: THEVENOT Guy 2013-06-29

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks