Menu

Restoring lost notepad++ file

alex
2014-10-29
2014-12-17
  • alex

alex - 2014-10-29

I had an unsaved notepad++ file. It was on autosave and I could see that it had saved information for some weeks.Recently windows did an update while starting up and I saw on the screen that it was clearing some cache (not sure if this would have affected notepad++).
    After I logged in, when I launched notepad++, the unsaved file was gone. How do I retrieve this ? Where does notepad++ saved unsaved (but autosaved) files. Since autosave was on, how was this file lost ? Any help will be appreciated

Last edit: alex 2014-10-29
  • Jan Schreiber

Jan Schreiber - 2014-10-30

Not sure about the cache thing, but the autosaved files are in %appdata%\Notepad++\backup.

• Jeff Smith

Jeff Smith - 2014-12-17

I had this problem today but only one of my unsaved files suddenly disappeared today. Does not seem related to any Windows update. I still have files named new 1,3,4,5,6,7 with dates appended. Only one of the older ones vanished, don't remember if it was called new 2 but likely.
    I used them as scratchpads for different subjects but the one I used most often with more longterm information is the only one gone! What could have caused such a glitch?

P.S. since the file is completely gone from that appdata folder, it would sure help me if any files being 'deleted' from there on purpose by npp be sent to Recycle Bin!

Last edit: Jeff Smith 2014-12-17