great editor - some suggestions

2006-04-06
2012-11-13
  • Nobody/Anonymous

Thanks for producing such a great editor. I'm using Notepad++ in preference to HomeSite and SciTE for all coding. There are a few things I'd love to see implemented, assuming they don't bulk up the app too much...

1. The latest Function List plugin is great and is the only one I've found that parses JavaScript correctly.
    Could it be part of the standard installation?
    Would it be possible to dock the pane within the main window? Minimise to system tray would then work correctly.
    Could it parse anonymous functions? e.g. setTimeout(function() { ... }, 1000);

2. Could trimming trailing whitespace be done automatically when saving? There's a macro to do it, but I forget to use it.

3. Once you've typed three characters, SciTE/Scintilla provides an autocomplete list of words (within the current document) that start with the same characters. It makes coding much quicker and less error-prone.

4. A file comparison tool would be great (PSPad has a good one).

5. One or more dockable file list panes would be handy.

6. Toolbar configuration.

7. Storing code snippets would be handy.

8. A spellcheck plugin would be great.

9. SciTE/Scintilla allows switching between proportional and monospace fonts using Ctrl+F11.

10. Intellisence would be a godsend, i.e. typing "ObjectName." would show a dropdown list of all properties and methods for that type. That could be problematic given that Notepad++ supports many different syntaxs, but perhaps a few could be supported?

11. Support for translating a file path to a web server URL so php, asp, etc. pages can be viewed in a browser.

12. Simple removal of unused language definitions would be useful.

• Nobody/Anonymous

> 1. The latest Function List plugin is great

yes!

> and is the only one I've found that parses JavaScript correctly.

but, alas, has some flaws with Pascal files (misses some procedures / functions)

> 2. Could trimming trailing whitespace be done automatically when saving? There's a macro to do it, but I forget to use it.

I second this; it would help a lot. Make it an configuration item and skip the macro entry.

> 3. Once you've typed three characters, SciTE/Scintilla provides an autocomplete list of words (within the current document) that start with the same characters. It makes coding much quicker and less error-prone.

Don, PLEASE make this available in Notepad++ too. Having to hit an extra key combination like Ctrl-Space makes me almost never use auto completion.

> 4. A file comparison tool would be great (PSPad has a good one). 

maybe you can run some external tool like winmerge (open source, IIRC) or beyond compare?

> 7. Storing code snippets would be handy.

you can do this manually by putting the strings in the ".api" file and use auto completion.

> 8. A spellcheck plugin would be great.

maybe OpenOffice or MS Office spell checker could be integrated by using COM interface? Or integrate the spellchecker that comes with Firefox?

> 10. Intellisence would be a godsend, i.e. typing "ObjectName." would show a dropdown list of all properties and methods for that type. That could be problematic given that Notepad++ supports many different syntaxs, but perhaps a few could be supported?

maybe this can be integrated in the function list plugin. Don't know how hard this would be. Jens? This would be especially handy, if combined with wish #3.

> 12. Simple removal of unused language definitions would be useful.

yes, but even hand editing an XML configuration file would help.

To all of you coders: Thanks a lot for your great work!

• Don HO

Don HO - 2006-04-17

>> 2. Could trimming trailing whitespace be done automatically when saving? There's a macro to do it, but I forget to use it. 

> I second this; it would help a lot. Make it an configuration item and skip the macro entry.

Alt+Shift+S will do it. Or via Menu : Macro->trimming trailing and save

Don

• Nobody/Anonymous

Hello,

I answering for my part:
      Point 1. It is a part of standard installation and I am developing at next on a new docking feature, that allows all plugins to dock into Notepad++.

Point 3. Use therefore the shortcut STRG+Space

Regards
      Jens

• Nobody/Anonymous

I am sorry for the typo. I mean CTRL-SPACE!

• Nobody/Anonymous

I agree!
      Please add code completion/Intellisense! This is the greatest feature this editor could have!
      If it had this I would drop even MS Visual Studio, and code everything in Notepad++!

• Nobody/Anonymous

Thanks for everyone's comments to my original post. Great news about the docking - can't wait for the next version.

I've changed my mind about file comparison - winmerge is great, and there's no point bloating Notepad++ with such a feature.

Although Ctrl+space can be done, I never use it either. It only seems to autocomplete words in the API files - not the current document (like SciTE).

It's still the best editor ... although code completion would give Notepad++ total world domination!

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks