reload file: lose changes(undo/redo)
    please re-check
    **note: you can solve it without reload file

in "Notepad++ v6.5.5":
    i add macro for fix the problem:

1-Start Recording
    2-Text Direction RTL
    3-View > Word wrap
    4-View > Word wrap (for restore setting)
    5-Stop Recording
    6-Save Currently Recorded Macro

shortcuts.xml

<Macro name="to RTL" Ctrl="no" Alt="no" Shift="no" Key="0">
                <Action type="2" message="0" wParam="42026" lParam="0" sParam="" />
                <Action type="2" message="0" wParam="44022" lParam="0" sParam="" />
                <Action type="0" message="2025" wParam="0" lParam="0" sParam="" />
                <Action type="0" message="2422" wParam="0" lParam="0" sParam="" />
                <Action type="0" message="2325" wParam="0" lParam="0" sParam="" />
            </Macro>
            <Macro name="to LTR" Ctrl="no" Alt="no" Shift="no" Key="0">
                <Action type="2" message="0" wParam="42027" lParam="0" sParam="" />
            </Macro>

Best regards.

Last edit: idev98 2014-05-09
  • Pat a Mat

Pat a Mat - 2014-05-12

Hi Don,

the new session snapshot and periodic backup feature is very useful - great work!
    Unfortunately, I encountered two problems:

1. Change is lost in one view: On exit NPP with 2 changed & unsaved files (one file in left view and the other file in right view) the change in the not selected View is lost.
      Steps to reproduce:

• start NPP and load 2 files
      • move one file to the other view
      • change something at the file in the right view
      • change something at the file in the left view
      • exit NPP (without saving)
      • restart NPP
      • -> the change in the right view is lost
    2. Sometimes, when 2 or more files are changed (with a lot of others opened files) and I click on the "Save All"-Button, NPP will hang up and must be terminated with the taskmanager.
      Fortunately, the changes are not lost, except for problem 1. Saving every file alone is ok.

With best regards,
    Pat a Mat

Last edit: Pat a Mat 2014-05-13
    • Don HO

Don HO - 2014-05-12

Hi Pat a Mat,

Thank you for the report.
      (1) will be fixed in the next version.
      Regarding (2), could you provide the instruction (step by step) to reproduce it?

Don

Last edit: Don HO 2014-05-12
      • Pat a Mat

Pat a Mat - 2014-05-13

Hi Don,

Thanks for solving (1). This will help a lot!

The second problem occurs less frequently. It seems that the problem occurs more frequently, the more modified files must be stored.

Steps (to try) to reproduce (2):
        1. download Notepad++ 7z package and unzip to a local folder
        2. start NPP with no changes in settings
        3. load a couple of files (I try it with 6 text files with stupid text about 100-150 characters)
        4. make a little change in every file
        5. click with the mouse on the "Save All"-button
        6. if NPP now not hang up, try to repeat the last two steps (within 10 times the error should have occurred)

My operating system is Windows 7. If you need more details about my environment, please let me know.

With best regards,
        Pat a Mat

• Don HO

Don HO - 2014-05-13

I load 300 files in my Notepad++ v6.6.2 and modified all of them.
          There's no hanging problem by hitting "Save All".
          I repeat such procedure 5-6 times, no hang.

Sorry for the question but just to make sure: your version is 6.6.2 right?
          Have you installed any plugins?

Don

• Pat a Mat

Pat a Mat - 2014-05-13

Hi Don,

Yes, I have the version 6.6.2 and there are only the default plugins installed, those who shipped with the 7z package.

Now I made a test without plugins: first try and NPP hangs.

I'm here at work. In the evening, I will test NPP 6.6.2 on my Notebook at home to reproduce the Problem. Then I will report the result.

Perhaps causing the problem another installed programs, such a virus scanner, raid system etc.

With best regards,
            Pat a Mat

• Pat a Mat

Pat a Mat - 2014-05-14

Hi Don,

Yesterday I made further investigation. At first, on two others systems the same problem (2) occurs.

The good news: I was able to clarify the circumstances of the error:
              1. The problem occurs when more as one file is changed (two is minimum, more are not necessary).
              2. After editing the last file, you have to click immediately on the "Save All" button. Don't select an other file and don't wait longer then the time specified in settings 'Backup in every xx seconds'.

In compliance with the above 2 points, I was able to reproduce the problem on 3 different systems every time I try.

On my investigations, I take a look at the backup folder, where NPP stores temporally the changed files. Here could I see, that I click on "Save All" after there appear the backup file of the last changed file - then is all fine. Click I before the back up file appears - NPP hang up!

• When I select an other opened file after changes, the backup file of the previous edited file is immediately created - and "Save All" works always fine.
              • When I wait more then the specified backup time, the backup file is also created - and "Save All" works always fine.

The bad news: I'm really sorry, but I discovered two more (more cosmetic) problems with this great function.

(3) unjustified changed files after restart of NPP:
              - start NPP and open 5 files
              - change every file
              - wait a while and do nothing (to avoid problem (2))
              - click on "Save All"
              - exit & restart NPP
              - now file 2 to 4 are marked red (unjustified as changed) in the tab bar, file 1 and 5 (accurate the first and last) are OK

I believe, this is while "Save All" not remove all backup files. The first and last backup file are removed. When I exit NPP, remove the backup files 2 to 4 by hand and restart NPP, all files are correctly marked as unchanged (grey).

(4) multi instance / no session
              - start NPP with parameter "-multiInst -nosession"
              - open a file and change something
              - exit NPP (no warning about unsaved changed files and all changes are apparently lost [backup files are ok, but not restored])

Hope, this helps you to improve NPP to the best editor forever!

With best regards,
              Pat a Mat

Last edit: Pat a Mat 2014-05-14
              • Don HO

Don HO - 2014-05-16

Hi Pat a Mat,

Sorry for the late reply. It took me more time to fix SaveAll hanging bug.
                Could you try this binary which fixes SaveAll hanging issue and restoring saved files as unsaved bug:
                http://notepad-plus-plus.org/tmp/npp.zip

Please confirm me if both bugs are fixed in this binary.

I'll work on the bug regarding session snapshhot on multi-instance issue.

Thank you for your tests, bug report and very detailed description. I really appreciate it.

Don

• Don HO

Don HO - 2014-05-17

The bug of session snapshhot on multi-instance issue has been fixed.
                  I just updated the binary:
                  http://notepad-plus-plus.org/tmp/npp.zip

Please let me know if all issues are solved now.

Don

• Pat a Mat

Pat a Mat - 2014-05-18

Hi Don,

Great! Very good work! Thank you very, very much! It works perfect!

Now, I'm here at home. A quick test shows, all problems (1) to (4) are solved. Tomorrow morning I will make further test at work. But I'm sure the problems are fixed.

Have a nice weekend.

With best regards,
                    Pat a Mat

• Geograph

Geograph - 2014-05-15

Don't right auto detect encoding begin from version 6.5.5.
    Detect encoding Windows-1251 (Cyrillic) as Macintosh (Cyrillic).
    For example, I write text "Группа", after save & open I see "√руппа"

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks