paul t - 2013-08-13

A while back I added a shortcut "CTRL-SHIFT-L" for the "Reload from Disk" command. Some time after that I noticed that my "Trim trailing and save" shortcut key "ALT-SHIFT-S" was no longer working -- It would just open the "Macros" menu. I wrote this down to a problem with the latest version of Notepad++ and ignored it, figuring the next version would fix it.

Just today I noticed that "Trim trailing and save" was working on all VMs except one. Investigated and found that on the goofy VM, in "Settings / Shortcut Mapper..." the shortcuts for all the Macros and Run commands were gone. Eventually traced this down to the file "C:\Users\me\AppData\Roaming\Notepad++\shortcuts.xml" having my "Reload from Disk" shortcut under "<InternalCommands>", but not having anything in <Macros> or <UserDefinedCommands>. Strangely "C:\Program Files (x86)\Notepad++\shortcuts.xml" was the opposite (nothing in "<InternalCommands>").

Easy fix. Open both in Notepad++, merge "C:\Program Files (x86)..." to the other file, save, exit and restart Notepad++. Still bad. Grrrr. "...\AppData\Roaming..." file was still messed up. Repeat same operation. Same result. The problem was that exiting Notepad++ was overwriting the "...\AppData\Roaming..." file on exit and blowing away my changes.

Solution: command line copy from "C:\Program Files (x86)" to "Roaming". Problem solved.

Lesson learned: A really good espresso is hard to find. Ok, nothing to do with this problem, but it's still a valuable lesson.