Notepad++ 5.8.3 release

Don HO
2010-11-02
2012-11-13
1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)
  • Sing

Sing - 2010-11-02

As I mentioned long time ago, the new version of notepad++ get brace highlighting problem.
    Please refer to https://sourceforge.net/projects/notepad-plus/forums/forum/331753/topic/3865864/index/page/1

I finally finds why this happened.
    It only happens on ANSI file. If you change the file encoding from ANSI to UTF-8 (through "Encoding" -> "Encode / Convert to UTF-8"), the brace highlighting works fine.

hope this will fix soon. and thx for your hard work!!

• Sing

Sing - 2010-11-02

just forgot to say, it also happened on 5.8.3.
    I use the unicode version for this testing.

• Chris

Chris - 2010-11-03

Great new release!

The logo is great but when in explorer i associate it in my head with a Picture instead of a txt source file… i know i know. i will get used to it eventually.. but why should i? :)

If you want to change the default application icon back to, for example,  the old version in Windows7:
    http://defaultprogramseditor.com/

Or is there an applicationnative method i could have used instead?

• Chris

Chris - 2010-11-03

And sorry i popup with an annoyance rather than with compliments Don Ho: dont take it personal: ive been 'living' inside notepad++ for at least 10 hours a day average for the last few years and couldnt nor want to live without it!

Looking forward to the next update!

• Felix Nagel

Felix Nagel - 2010-11-03

Is there any chance to get the function list plugin back working? Or, even better, any chance to add this functionality as a default plugin? A lot of editors have an already built-in function and variable list.

ps: I love the new icon :-)

• Anonymous - 2010-11-03

there is a problem with cbl files (COBOL)
    000001                         DISPLAY "code name surname                    
    000002      -                          "       rate of pay".

when i use in quotes (") in first line one quote and in second 2 quotes all under the second line is gray like it is a string
    and it shouldnot.

• matrixik

matrixik - 2010-11-03

Thank you for update but I'm going back to 5.8.2 because of:

Due to UAC issue, doLocalConf.xml is ignored under vista and windows 7, if Notepad++ is installed in "Program files" directory.

Cheers

• cchris

cchris - 2010-11-03

@matrixik:
    Why do you install in C:\Program Files on such systems? I have had to avoid this at work, under XP.

Function List:
    I haven't checked with the new version, but it has had issues for a long time now. Upgrade to 2.1 if applicable; otherwise, contact Jens and insist that his code be better behaved.
    SourceCookifier works better and provides nearly the same basic services. There is the .NET framework overhead, but under Vista/7 you have incurred it already.

CChris

• Felix Nagel

Felix Nagel - 2010-11-03

Function list is always a update stopper - thats right. SourceCookifier sadly does not work with javascript files. This is a known problem of cTags, but the developer doesnt care.
    I will contact Jens, perhaps he is my rescue.

Are there any changes with the userLanguge files? My TypoScript userlanguage does no longer work. Any ideas?
    https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2839067&group_id=95717&atid=612385

Using a fresh Win7 installation.

• cchris

cchris - 2010-11-03

What "doesn't work" in your TypoScript files, or rather how doesn't it work?

CChris

• DV

DV - 2010-11-03

> SourceCookifier sadly does not work with javascript files 

Why not to use additional parsing rules for JavaScript? CTags itself allows such extension and SourceCookifier supports it also. As an example, you can see simple definitions for .ini and .rc files (Plugins -> SourceCookifier -> Language settings -> INI* or RC*).

• Felix Nagel

Felix Nagel - 2010-11-03

@cchris
    I cant see the the option TYPOSCRIPT in the list LANGUAGES. Its not automatically used for *.ts files as defined.

@dv___
    Thanks for the hint. That could be a solution if Im able to write a regex substitution which works. Where to find INI* and RC*? In the language col?

• cchris

cchris - 2010-11-03

N++ may not see your file. A brute force approach is as follows:
    1/ rename your file to say userDefineLang2.xml
    2/ Open the UDL panel, click Import and import your language. Import succeeds.
    3/ In compact mode, the Languages menu doesn't show the language yet. This may be a bug.
    4/ Close and reopen N++. Now everything is  ok.

CChris

• cchris

cchris - 2010-11-03

Update:
    1/ Even in non compact mode, the language menu isn't updated
    2/ Would you consider sharing your archive on NpWiki++, on the User Defined Language Files page?
    3/ There has been no change in UDL processing (to my dismay). What has changed is doLocalConf.xml being ignored in some circumstances. Since Notepad++ usually determines where configuration files dependingon the file being present, this may be what broke it for you.

CChris

• Felix Nagel

Felix Nagel - 2010-11-03

Another bug: I opened the UDL dialog and docked to the main window. No chance to redo (undock UDL dialog) this or even use a single button within the docked dialog.

• cchris

cchris - 2010-11-03

You can post a (duplicate) bug report about this problem, due to faulty interaction with Windows when using the Aero theme. The easiest way ut could be to switch to some theme like Classic, for the time being.

CChris

• Filip Komar

Filip Komar - 2010-11-05

Hi. Thx for new version of this excellent editor. I still (at least from 5.7 version ago) have brace highlighting problem on both brackets in if part bellow . Can anyone reproduce it?

<?php 
        $option = '<option';
        if() {
        }
        $option .= ' value="value">' . $value . '</option>';
    ?>

Same on two PCs. I have english XP and Slovene XP with Slovene local setting on both. It seems that it doesn't matter if is ANSI, UTF or whatever encoding.

Is it Scintilla related?

• Filip Komar

Filip Komar - 2010-11-05

Forgot to add that when whole option tag is in one line highlighting is as expected.

• nofun

nofun - 2010-11-05

>> Can anyone reproduce it?
    Yes, I can.
    Latest SciTE (SciTE Version 2.22 Oct 27 2010 10:45:37) has no such problem here.

• nofun

nofun - 2010-11-05

…but it seems that's because SciTE  doesn't highlight HTML here.

• nofun

nofun - 2010-11-05

In fact, option Preferences -> MISC. -> Highlight Matching Tags: Highlight comment/php/asp zone switches this behavior.

P.S. Sorry, can't edit previous posts, and better thoughts come always afterwards :D

• invincibile

invincibile - 2010-11-05

signx7 «the new version of notepad++ get brace highlighting problem. (…) It only happens on ANSI file. If you change the file encoding from ANSI to UTF-8 »

Boicott ANSI encoding, boicott any encoding different than Unicode. After 20 years unicode is born, people who don't write only english,  or know languages with different alphabets have problems.
    Hope that only unicode will remain and those problems disappear soon

1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks