UDL2 Default style & Glibal Default style

Kigaruna
2013-06-09
2013-06-19
  • Kigaruna

Kigaruna - 2013-06-09

This is annoyed the hell out of me. This issue seem to be present since introduction the UDL2 but with each new version fix is not coming... I'm tired of waiting. Maybe you can suggest something.
    If you make user defined language and select some settings in its default style, this style is applied to everything except whitespace. means space characters, carriage return etc.
    In other words if global default style doesn't match default style in UDL2 I can not get proper aliment with monospace fonts!
    How to solve this?
    Also is there a reason why we can't configure style for .txt files in notepad++ settings? I'm aware that global default style is used for that, but .txt should NOT use defaults. Default should be for something undefined. But .txt is very common and many users need it to be configured in different way. I for example absolutely have to change it to Meiryo UI. But as I said before this breaks UDL2. Of course default settings for .txt should be pretty simple, similar to these of Dos Style.

any suggestions?

Last edit: Kigaruna 2013-06-09
  • Kigaruna

Kigaruna - 2013-06-10

I see. From the title of that topic I thought it's about actual fonts not npp behavior so I somehow missed that.
    Anyway, if devs aware of the issue and haven't fixed it over the years, I have nothing to add. However I shouldn't be surprised. It still displays such ridiculous things like "ANSI as UTF-8" and everyone ok with that...

• Loreia2

Loreia2 - 2013-06-10

Well, no one claimed Npp was perfect, but I still think of it as the best Windows editor. If you find Npp lacking some important feature, it doesn't hurt to vote for it on forum or bug tracker. It may motivate someone to sit down and fix it.

BR,
    Loreia

• cchris

cchris - 2013-06-19

You will find about such topics, but they are a bit old, and I haven't been too lucky searchinng on the SF forums these days. In a nutshell:
    - UTF-8 is a superset of ANSI as far as byte level character encoding is concerned. So, if a text is meant to be saved in UTF-8 and has no characters above the 0..127 ANSI range, there is no way for N++ to know. So it will say "ANSI as UTF-8" because as far as it can see, it cannot tell.
    - ANI codepages using the 128..255 range for national accented letters or such may look like valid UTF-8. Again, it would be hard for N++ to tell.
    - Two exceptions to this shortcoming:
    1/ If a text file has a BOM, then the BOM will tell about the encoding.
    2/ For xml-like files, the first characters provide an encoding hint, and N++ honors it.

Google for "Bush hid the facts" and you'll see why the heuristics used by most Windows applications fail (this sentence is usually considered as written in DBCS Chinese): http://www.google.fr/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDIQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FBush_hid_the_facts&ei=dfXBUea4OIjPhAf1kYDQBw&usg=AFQjCNGhYgLqg_1mrM7FOwX5j_VejZ9OkQ&bvm=bv.47883778,d.ZG4

CChris

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks