Turn off displaying spaces as a first character of lines (if possible)

Trejder
2013-12-16
2013-12-22
  • Trejder

Trejder - 2013-12-16

Hello!

Is there any way to prevent Notepad++ from displaing spaces as first character of some lines? Can someone help me in identifying option or parameter responsible for that?

I noticed, that for certain languages (Javascript, Pascal, Resource files), if previous line hasn't enough place to accommodate space between words, that space is shifted to the beginning of following line. While for all other languages, space is always stick to end of line, no matter, whether there is a place for it or not.

I started as Stack Overflow question on this problem, but we wouldn't be able to solve it:
    http://programmers.stackexchange.com/q/221502/57759

For as far as I can say, this should be something specific to Notepad++ itself, not to Scintilla. I've been using another Scintilla-based editor for past ten years and it hasn't got that problem. No matter, what language / lexer / styling has been selected, spaces never appeared in the beginning of any line and each and every line always started with a character by the left margin, never with a space.

Thank you in advance for any help here,
    Trejder

• Loreia2

Loreia2 - 2013-12-16

Hi Trejder,

can you post a screen shot of the problem? Also that link is of some other problem (related to read-only files).

BR,
    Loreia

• Loreia2

Loreia2 - 2013-12-17

Hi Trejder,

I can't reproduce problem on my machine. Can you try disabling plugins folder (by renaming it, and restarting N++)? Is problem still reproducible?

Also, In that screen capture, your N++ looks broken. Styles were not read in, and number of available languages is very limited. Can you try to download ZIP version and try with that one? Does it solve the problem?

BR,
    Loreia

• Trejder

Trejder - 2013-12-18

(Gosh, what a buggy site, must write everything from scratch, damn!)

Hi Loreia,

No, my N++ doesn't seems to be broken (I hope so). I have manually reduced number of languages in "Language" menu, using configuration, to just those, that I'm using everyday.

I haven't got any problem with styles so far. Maybe because on above mentioned screenshot I have apppied Javascript lexer / language / styles to a normal text file, causes some problems with rendering, which lead you to a confusion, that my styles are broken.

I have renamed "plugins" in "C:\Users[user]\AppData\Roaming\Notepad++" folder into "plugins_renamed" and restarted Notepad++. Nothing around spaces in the beginning of lines has changed. I still see them in both custom, Markdown styling and in build-in Javascript styling. I'm sending you some examples (attachment), some screenshots and my config files.

Maybe I should send you my entire zipped N++ folder, including all files in "Program Files" folder and all the configuration in "%APPDATA" folder?

Cheers,
    Trejder

• Trejder

Trejder - 2013-12-18

(forgotten atachment)

• Trejder

Trejder - 2013-12-18

Nope, it seems to be something deeply in Notepad++, as I managed to reproduce this in freshly downloaded ZIP file.

Here's what I did:

1. Downloaded freshly, brand-new "npp.6.5.2.bin.zip" file from N++ website and extracted it into "c:\npp.6.5.2.bin" folder.

2. Opened Notepad++ from "c:\npp.6.5.2.bin" folder and opened any example text file in it.

3. Applied "Javascript" (and "Pascal" and "Resource file" and other) styling from "Language menu".

4. Spaces in the beginning of lines appeared after changing language (see attachment).

Because font is much smaller than in my configuration, there is fewer number of spaces, but still they can be easily spotted.

• Loreia2

Loreia2 - 2013-12-19

Hi,

I followed your instructions, and still can't get the same problem. Fresh ZIP version, language applied JavaScript, Word wrap set, and everything is aligned nicely:

BR,
    Loreia

• Trejder

Trejder - 2013-12-22

Hi,

I have ZIPed my entire Notepad++ directory and %APPDATA%/Notepad++ folder contents. I have used these two ZIPs to "install" "my" version of Notepad++ to a test computer, freshly new, in the meaning, that it never "seen" a Notepad++ on it.

I was at once able to reproduce the mentioned problem.

So, if only SF will all me to add such large attachments, you may try to analyze them and maybe this way you'll be able to find out, what's causing that spaces in the beginning of lines.

Or, we have to drop this and I'll have to learn to live with them.

Cheers and Merry Christmas,
    Trejder

• Trejder

Trejder - 2013-12-22

Next attachment.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks