Notepad++ 6.1.6 release

Don HO
2012-08-16
2012-11-13
<< < 1 2 (Page 2 of 2)
  • Loreia2

Loreia2 - 2012-09-04

Hi wurzelpete,

can you reproduce the problem reliably? I've been hit by the same bug, but it is completely random, I can't figure out what triggers it. And when it does happen, it looks like it folds only from beginning of file up to the point that is displayed on the screen.

BR
    Loreia

• Fish Sauce

Fish Sauce - 2012-09-04

Have you fixed the no hard drive space bug in this version ?

Open a file, modify it than save again, if the hard drive doesn't have any space left, the error is silently ignored as if it was saved correctly.
    This can cause the whole file to be cleared out, wiped out, file size set to zero, that is the previous content also deleted.

Very serious bug, ignoring such errors is a major programmer screw up.

• Bob Uncle

Bob Uncle - 2012-09-04

Hey tartar, I agree that not displaying an error when the hard drive is full on save is an issue. However, do you not have a bigger issue if your drive is full? Does not your OS tell you the hard drive is full? Does it really matter if the hard drive is full and it doesn't save the file?

- Bob

• Fish Sauce

Fish Sauce - 2012-09-05

> However, do you not have a bigger issue if your drive is full?
    Have you not considered thumbnail flash drives, secondary partitions/hard drives ?
    In this case it was a secondary hard drive used by many other programs, such as chrome to cache flash videos.

> Does not your OS tell you the hard drive is full?
    Only the hard drive that the os is stored on.

> Does it really matter if the hard drive is full and it doesn't save the file?
    So are you trolling ?
    Writing a long essay, open to make some small corrections than you click save, close notepad++.
    When it is time to print out the essay the file is empty, several pages long essay gone.
    So i ask you, while seriously questioning your intelligence, do you not think it matters if it is saved ?
    If i had gotten an error, i would save the essay to another location. No problem at all.
    No normal person checks the hard drive space before saving a file. That is the program job to do.

• Peter

Peter - 2012-09-05

can you reproduce the problem reliably?

Sadly I cannot. But I can second that it seems to fold only the visible part of the file, yet once I also had it break the whole displayed code completely.
    As I use the folding feature quite heavily I sadly didn't have time to deal with the problem itself more but had to find a quick solution, and not upgrading higher than 6.1.2 did the trick for me (I'm haven't tried anything in between 6.1.2 and 6.1.6 though, there might be versions that are also "OK" in that range).

• Loreia2

Loreia2 - 2012-09-05

Hi wurzelpete,

your problem is identical to mine :-)

Since it is hard to reproduce the problem, it would be very beneficial to determine which version introduced this error.
    Would you be willing to test versions in between 6.1.2 and 6.1.6?

BR
    Loreia

• Fool4UAnyway

Fool4UAnyway - 2012-09-05

fish-sauce, there's two things you can do to assure your file gets or was saved.

1. Compare to last save, a feature of the Compare Plug-In. This will either result in no differences or show differences after you attempted to save the actual file.

2. Use an automatic file back-up tool like FileHamster. If you set it to watch the file (or directory), it will automatically create a backup in a folder you specify (not the same hard drive preferably) each time you save the file again. If it is saved successfully, you can have it pop-up a message, so you will be notified. I guess if the file actually can't be saved because of the no space left problem, you will wait in vain for the pop-up message. If you notice this, you will know the file wasn't saved. (If it is saved anyway of seen as such, you can of course apply the first option as well to check if it was correct.)

• Bob Uncle

Bob Uncle - 2012-09-05

So are you trolling ?

Funny, I was thinking that about you when I saw your initial post.

What I first said is:

I agree that not displaying an error when the hard drive is full on save is an issue.

Giving all of your examples, it is still valid that an error is needed. But, I would expect the OS also to complain too, not just the application. In fact, my Windows based machines have always given me an OS level error if my thumbdrive is full, my shared drive is full or other drives on my box when i write to it. In Windows XP and later there is even a little alert in the system tray that pops up when this happens.

No normal person checks the hard drive space before saving a file.

If the file is important - I do check this. If I am at a shared machine (library, school lab, public kiosk, etc.) I always check after I hit save if the file was updated before I close the application. I never expect the application to tell me of failures in those cases, aka when it is important.

The answer to your question to me then is that I am not a troll. Just someone pointing out: A) this is a problem; B) never assume a file is saved when it is important. The first is an app issue, the second issue is all you.

Oh, and I see Fool4U has replied too.

- Bob

• Fish Sauce

Fish Sauce - 2012-09-06

fool4uanyway
    If a program is buggy and does something unexpected like deleting all your files.
    Would you be happy if somebody reminded you about backup solutions ?
    Would you think it would be constructive ?

Yes i use a backup solution and it did save me from this buggy program.
    I use notepad2 now while i wait on a bug fix. I haven't seen any activity related to a bug fix for this issue yet in the log and no answer from the dev if he have fixed this issue already but failed to mention it.
    But i expect i will not trust notepad++ to work as expected again.

im2crazy4u
    "I would expect the OS also to complain too"
    Such notifications have never been reliable due to many reasons. Google them.

"never assume a file is saved when it is important. The first is an app issue, the second issue is all you."
    Tell me:
    When you use a car in the morning, do you expect it to work or do you run a complete workshop diagnostic check of all its vital parts every single day ?

If you tried to stop at a traffic light but the breaks didn't work and you ran over a kid ?
    How would you feel if somebody said: "Its your fault you didnt check the breaks before the traffic light." ?

When you use medicine, do you expect it to work and not kill you ? Do you run a molecular diagnostic on every medicine bottle/pill before consumption ?

Some things you expect to just work when there is no hints to the contrary.

Would you recommend this program to anyone without technically knowledge ?
    I mean it is a text editor, people expect such a simple program to work, right ?

Would you expect your grandmother to know that she always have to check that the program isn't buggy ?

Do you get my point, yet ?

The only thing at fault here is notepad++ ignoring important errors, who knows what else it is ignoring.

I still think you are trolling in a passive aggressive sort of way.

• Peter

Peter - 2012-09-06

Since it is hard to reproduce the problem, it would be very beneficial to determine which version introduced this error. Would you be willing to test versions in between 6.1.2 and 6.1.6?

It seems that 6.1.6 is the first version to introduce the problem. My quick tests didn't show any issues with every version from 6.1.2 up to 6.1.5, so it seems 6.1.6 introduced the problem.

• Loreia2

Loreia2 - 2012-09-06

Hi wurzelpete,

thanks a lot for your quick answer.

BR
    Loreia

• Fool4UAnyway

Fool4UAnyway - 2012-09-06

fish-sauce,

it may never have happened to you, but maybe you can imagine the time when there was no digital money, or at least no easy way to pay with a credit card or bank card.

Did you ever want to buy something and find out you didn't have enough money with you?

Do you expect people to never make mistakes?

I do expect you to check the fuel level of your car before you start it to drive off.
    This is similar to you checking the space you are trying to work in or on (hard drive space).

Usually, it won't be an issue at all. But by the time your hard drive runs out of empty space, I guess you could have known this for some time.

I, for one, do not expect other people to be so negative only because the answers they get are not the ones they want to hear. But I can take that. It's not really a problem.

If the program bugs you that much, I think it's a good choice to use another.

• devland

devland - 2012-09-07

Whenever I edit the big echo code, the javascript below it goes all purple.
    I only use the Explorer plugin; the rest is as default.
    I use the no-install zipped version.
    I can has bug fix?

• devland

devland - 2012-09-07

Whenever I edit the big echo code, the javascript below it goes all purple.
    I only use the Explorer plugin; the rest is as default.
    I use the no-install zipped version.
    I can has bug fix?

• Don HO

Don HO - 2012-09-09

@comphilip :
    From version 6.0 to 6.1.5, Input Chinese in ANSI document makes Notepad++ hang while Word-completion is enabled.
    This issue is worked around In version 6.1.6 by disabling Word-completion under Chinese/Korean/Japanese environment.

Don

• Don HO

Don HO - 2012-09-09

@fish-sauce:
    Saving failed silently problem will be fixed in the next release thanks to Andreas Jonsson ( jonandr ) 's patch.

Don

• Don HO

Don HO - 2012-09-09

@wurzelpete:
    I cannot reproduce the bug you described.
    Could you provide the instruction and file so that this bug can be reproduced steadily?

Don

• keal

keal - 2012-09-10

This behaviour change may have come in 6.1.5 (or even earlier) - it has frustrated me for a while now:
    You do a "Find in files", and click on one result to display it, and then want to make another search _in the same set of files_, so you hit Ctrl-Shift-F again
    But the "Directory:" field is now updated to the directory of the file you inspected; unless you edit it, you will not do the second search in the same set of tiles. True enough: If you click on the edit field, scroll down one entry and then back up again, you will have restored the original directory that you wanted. That requires you to grab the mouse, aim the mouse cursor and operate the buttons. In previous versions, that wasn't necessary.

Maybe there is a good justification for the change in behaviour. I cannot see it. If the change was not intentional, I hope that we can get the old behaviour back in the next update.

• Peter

Peter - 2012-09-11

@wurzelpete: I cannot reproduce the bug you described. Could you provide the instruction and file so that this bug can be reproduced steadily?

I created an entry in your bug tracker with an example file attached so you can reproduce the problem.

<< < 1 2 (Page 2 of 2)

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks