Recent Files List location and security

user7344
2012-12-20
2012-12-21
  • user7344

user7344 - 2012-12-20

Where is the recent files list located in the OS? (Win 7 64bit)

In Windows registry? If so, where? In a file or in multiple files on the hdd? If so, where? Is there more than one place where recent opened files in Notepad++ leaves a footprint (disregard reading RAM for the moment)?

Last edit: user7344 2012-12-20
  • Loreia2

Loreia2 - 2012-12-20

Hi user7344,,

you can find it in this XML file:
    C:\Users\<userid>\AppData\Roaming\Notepad++\session.xml

BR,
    Loreia

• user7344

user7344 - 2012-12-20

Hi Loreia,

You're wrong. You did however point me to the right directory, and so i found the recent files list.

session.xml specifies what files to auto-open with Notepad++.
    The recent files is specified in config.xml, more precisely at the end of this file in the <History> tag.

Also, by removing all the posts (lines) in config.xml and restart the computer there shouldn't be any way whatsoever for an external application to find out about what recent files that has been opened in Notepad++. But since I asked this in the initial post it would still be interesting to get this confirmed by someone with more insight. And yeah, this of course presumes that recent files list is NOT being stored somewhere else as well (like in the registry), but only in this ONE place?

Thanks!

• Loreia2

Loreia2 - 2012-12-21

Hi user7344,

I guess I misunderstood which list you needed. I am glad you found it yourself.
    And yes, this is the only place where such information is saved.

Registry is used only for context menu, uninstall information and file associations.
    If you don't use installer, ans start N++ from ZIP archive, than registry isn't used at all.

BR,
    Loreia

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks