Comic Sans MS

2005-07-29
2012-11-13
  • Jorgen Bodde

Jorgen Bodde - 2005-07-29

Hi there,

Great work on the Notepad++! I however find it slightly annoying that all comment fields are in Comic Sans MS. I like my sources to have the same font size + type throughout the text.

I always spend a good time replacing the styled tags, but the problem arises when a new copy is installed. The config file is overwritten!

Could yuu make a styler option where you can set one font style + size as global so that it overrides all other styles? Or one button that will equalize all styles in the current language, that would be great!

Thanks,
    - Jorgen

• Nobody/Anonymous

I prefer monospaced.

My comments aren't always just for reading, I use them to disable lines of code. In this case a monospaced font seems better.

Rico

• Nobody/Anonymous

Just replace "Comic Sans MS" with "" in stylers.xml in npp program folder.

• Nobody/Anonymous

>  Just replace "Comic Sans MS" with "" in stylers.xml in npp program folder.

If you want this product to succeed, you cannot just say that.  Comic Sans is universally the most-disliked font of all time.  Never have I used a text editor that used, let alone *forced*, Comic Sans.

I realize the author(s) of this program may have some strange love affair with the font, but seriously people... monospaced.  And asking your users to manually edit config files every update?  Ain't gonna happen. People will just turn elsewhere.  Them's the breaks.

• Don HO

Don HO - 2005-11-23

> I realize the author(s) of this program may have
          > some strange love affair with the font

You're right :)

> but seriously people... monospaced.

It's not true, since there're some people wrote to me to agree with my taste.

> And asking your users to manually edit config files every update?

Not anymore: if you have installed v3.3 with installer, you'll notice that your old setting are kept by an updater.

> Ain't gonna happen. People will just turn elsewhere. Them's the breaks.

It's not my gaol to make everybody happy. Keep it in mind that it's not a commercial product.

Don

• Paulius

Paulius - 2005-07-29

Whenever i install new version of npp - first thing for me is to find and edit all condiguration files in npp directory and %APPDATA%\Notepad++\ directory.

That way - i always have my favorite font,  fontsize for all languages (funny - i use notepad++ to find/replace those default values).

• Nobody/Anonymous

Yes but it should be a bit more elegant if the old styles were simply remembered. This is quite common for new installs;

- Install a default.xml file
      - Never write to the work xml file from a setup
      - When the work.xml file does not exist take the default.xml
      - Write on close to the work.xml

It is really not elegant to overwrite user settings every new install, and definately not user-friendly to tell them to search and replace every time the app is updated ;-)

- Jorgen

• Nobody/Anonymous

By the way, searching and replacing Comic Sans MS does not do the trick. I removed it from the stylers.xml and when I start notepad ++ low and behold the style still gives me Comic Sans MS for comments.

It was just a friendly suggestion. Your editor is a nice one, but there are some simple rules for config management. You cannot let people enter all those config settings all over again at every new install.

- Jorgen

• Nobody/Anonymous

Jorgen,

You need to edit the *.xml file in your profile folder not where the program is installed.

c:\docs & settings\<user>\app data\notepad++\

Hope this helps.

-- Richard

• Chris Severance

Chris Severance - 2005-11-24

I don't much care but I do see two reasons why it is not unreasonable to prefer a proportional font.

Comments are quite different from all other text. Having them proportional ensures that they are never mistaken for code.

Comments are made for reading, not for the things that you want a monospaced font for.

A rectangular selection across comments doesn't work too well but most of the time your rectangular selections aren't be crossing into comments.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks