ruler request? want 80 character wide limit

ron
2009-03-10
2013-08-26
  • ron

ron - 2009-03-10

hi,
    is there an option to turn on a ruler at the top of the window?

I am writing c / c++ code and would like to limit my text to 80 characters wide, that way when I have to edit them in some other shell window (those are 80 chars wide) nothing wraps in the window.

it would be awesome if there was a ruler bar across the top of the window, where you could turn it on or off, and with the option of having one dashed line coming down the right side which is settable to be at so many characters from the left.  that way you know the character width of your file and can see it coming as you're typing,
    it's a little hard to read the column number at the bottom of the screen.
    right now I just resize the whole window, but then you end up compacting menu buttons at the top and when you do type past that width you can't see how far your text goes out to the right.

• Jan Schreiber

Jan Schreiber - 2009-03-10

Something like:
      Menu: Settings -> Options -> View -> Right margin
      (I'm translating back from a localized version, so the wording is probably inaccurate.)

• Reinier Olislagers

Something like:
    Menu: Settings -> Options -> View -> Right margin
    (I'm translating back from a localized version, so the wording is probably inaccurate.)
    Yes, in version 6.4.2 it seems to be Settings->Preferences->Editing->Vertical Edge Settings

Thanks for this, I've been looking for ruler functionality and naming this "Vertical Edge" wasn't very obvious to me...

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks