Don HO - 2010-12-19

Notepad++ version 5.8.6 released

Notepad++ 5.8.6 release is available.
    Please check here :
    http://notepad-plus-plus.org/news/release-586

Don

• Grindax

Grindax - 2010-12-19

Nice set of bug fixes. I'm especially pleased that the folding margin works correctly now :)

One thing I note though: The antonym for trailing is leading. So the new functions under 'Blank Operations' should be called 'Trim Leading Space' and 'Trim Leading and Trailing Space'.

• poqer

poqer - 2010-12-19

Notepad++ is the best program ever written and I can only dream that someday I will be 1/10 as good as the programmers who made it.

• Bob Uncle

Bob Uncle - 2010-12-19

In this new release, a minimalist package is added.
    It contains only the files needed to run Notepad++ with no plugins, no themes, no autocompletion API files, no updaters and no localization files.

I have to try me this one for sure! I've been waiting for something like this for a long while. That way I don't need to pull down the whole thing and remove the plug-ins myself! Awesome and thank you!

- Bob

• Would

Would - 2010-12-20

The minimalist package is a great idea. Ideal release for me. But if you'll going to continue releasing it I'd like to ask for an installer. Anyway great job;)

• hilt2

hilt2 - 2010-12-20

the un-installation procedure (probably only the silent version of it) also removes the configuration files. Could you please disable it? The files are small and do not contain any confidential information AFAIK.

Also what does the .DLL shell extension do? Does it only add the "Edit with Notepad++" entry? I ask because the Explorer locks the DLL by loading it and Notepad++ can't be easily uninstalled. This would help to integrate Notepad++ with Npackd better.

• Bob Uncle

Bob Uncle - 2010-12-20

The minimalist package is a great idea. Ideal release for me. But if you'll going to continue releasing it I'd like to ask for an installer.

To me the point of the minimalist package isn't just the lack of plug-ins, but the small size and lack of installer. I haven't used an installer since 3.x or some such. This is a win!

- Bob

• Dieter Müller

Dieter Müller - 2010-12-20

The minimalist package is a great idea. Ideal release for me. But if you'll going to continue releasing it I'd like to ask for an installer.

I too.

To me the point of the minimalist package isn't just the lack of plug-ins, but the small size and lack of installer. I haven't used an installer since 3.x or some such. This is a win!

I used an installer, because this was my way, to retain my modifications, e.g. shortcuts or style of xml content. When I now copied the new files from the zip, all my modifications were gone ;-((

• Jikaido

Jikaido - 2010-12-20

Minimalistic version is a great idea for fast deployment and use on slower systems. It would be great to see it continued. Thanks a lot for a fantastic app!

• GVC

GVC - 2010-12-20

I also don't know why the HEX editor DLL is always kicked out.  This is the case already since many, many updates and so far, I've seen no issues at all when I put the HEX editor DLL back.

So, are we sure there are still issues?  From what I've experienced up till now, I don't think so…  Unless someone else has bad experiences with it?

It's anyhow a bit annoying I always have to put the HEX editor DLL back.  So, unless there's a real reason to kick it out each and every time a new release is made, it would be great to leave it in place.

I know, the minimalistic installation does not touch any of the DLL's, but the "normal" installer so far does…

Best rgds,
    -Geert

• ajua

ajua - 2010-12-20

Why is it that the latest versions have broken the ability to just extract the binaries and have everything like configuration and modifications? This was a great way to update an existing folder with previous Notepad++ version.

The option in the installer to not use APPDATA and make it portable doesn't work. Notepad++ always creates and saves its config files in the APPDATA folder.

What do I have to do to have it portable again?

• Bob Uncle

Bob Uncle - 2010-12-20

I used an installer, because this was my way, to retain my modifications, e.g. shortcuts or style of xml content.

I use a tool to compare two folders. I have 'npp' as my current folder and 'npp-version' as new. I then compare the folders and capture the personalizations into the new version. I then name 'npp' to 'npp-old' and 'npp-version' to 'npp'. Then all my shortcuts are the same (they point to 'npp'), my settings are saved, I can see what changed in the XML files, and I can get back to where I was by renaming folders back again.

With an installer, you lose the option to revert to a previously known good package without having to uninstall the new one and reinstall the old one without your modifications.

- Bob

• Would

Would - 2010-12-21

So to please everyone 2 versions (installer and 7zip ones) would be needed. However all of us agree that the idea of releasing the minimalist package is great.

• cchris

cchris - 2010-12-21

Going back from PostIt mode crashes N++ if HexEditor is around and the two views are used.

CChris

• Taworn T.

Taworn T. - 2010-12-22

Minimalist package is a good idea.  :)

• Anonymous - 2010-12-24

I for one love the minimalist package. I rarely use any of the plugins that came included in earlier versions so installing Notepad++ without plugins while still having the chance to install the ones you desire (if any) is great. It also makes Notepad++ load faster, even faster than before.

• 7GOLEM7

7GOLEM7 - 2010-12-26

Hi Don Thanks for release. )))
    New option "Remove Unnecessary Blank and EOL" i think not need.
    Her name not convey its function completely. And combines two top options (Trim Leading and Trailing Space and EOL to Space)

• yadas

yadas - 2010-12-28

Yeah, minimalist package IS great.
    Thanks you!

• usacad1

usacad1 - 2010-12-29

Hi Don,

this is related to V5.8.6 and earlier. Apparently all V5.8.x broke FunctionList.dll with user-defined language parsing rules (it still works ok with embedded languages).

V5.7 worked ok. All 5.8.x show the same: the indicator on top of FunctionList windows flashes continuously and stays at zero percent; nothing shows up and NP++ uses 100% of one CPU core. From within the plugin menu it is possible to see the language parsing rules normally (so the plugin generally works… except it doesn't … :)

Hope it can be fixed and thank you for your excellent work.

• Anonymous - 2010-12-29

Thanks for the great software.

Is is possibly to add import/export functions to notepad++? Each time I upgraded the version, I need to re-configuration my settings (shortcuts, tab settings, style settings etc.)…

• oh-nice

oh-nice - 2010-12-29

Befor you update, backup in n++ program folder your config.xml, contextMenu.xml, doLocalConf.xml, session.xml, shortcuts.xml, stylers.xml, userDefineLang.xml

• Anonymous - 2010-12-30

Yes, I used to update in this way. But sometimes if the version contains new menus, I'm wondering updating in this way may have unexpected problems, so I always re-configure my settings if the new version contain new features…

• Don HO

Don HO - 2011-01-08

@ Zanzara:
    I can not reproduce this bug in any language, even in German.
    Could you provide complete information (OS, how did you installed your Notepad++, where is it installed, etc…)

Don

1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks