Notepad++ v4.3 - crash problem ???

Don HO
2007-09-30
2012-11-13
  • Don HO

Don HO - 2007-09-30

Just want to make sure that the newest release v4.3 is stable enough.

If you have any crash when you run this version, please post here.

Thank you.

Don

• wutzke

wutzke - 2007-11-22

When I open a document and highlight some text, then press Ctrl-C, NotePad++ crashes.
      I don't know if this is a problem with Scintilla or NotePad++

• Nobody/Anonymous

This is a warning for young players.

I downloaded 4.3 and stupidly extracted all the files into the same folder as Notepad++. So the files in the plugins sub-directory were left over from the previous version. This is a really bad thing; as soon as you type into Notepad++ it will crash. I realised my mistake and moved the various dlls and so on into the sub-directories where they should have been and everything was good.

So just look out that you don't completely flatten the directory structure when you're unpacking the zip archive.

Derek

• Don HO

Don HO - 2007-10-01

So could you confirm there is no crash with all the plugins come with v4.3 ?

Don

• steakhacher

steakhacher - 2007-10-01

Hi

Even if notepad++ 4.3 is overall working properly. It seems to have such stability problems. It is often crashing if I delete a files and I answer not keep the delete file in notepad++.
      And sometimes, it is crashing without determined reasons.

It seems that there is also a problem, whith the filing of the directory with find in files if you use the two view with files in different directory. Open notepad++ open two files in different directory put the file 2 in other view and make a filed in files on the first view then the path is filed with path of file 2.

• Don HO

Don HO - 2007-10-01

> It is often crashing if I delete a files and I answer not keep the delete file in notepad++.

https://sourceforge.net/forum/message.php?msg_id=4546929

> Open notepad++ open two files in different directory put the file 2
        > in other view and make a filed in files on the first view then the path is filed with path of file 2.

Hmm... I can not reproduce this crash. Could you provide a procedure step by step to reproduce it?

Don

• steakhacher

steakhacher - 2007-10-02

> Hmm... I can not reproduce this crash. Could you provide a procedure step by step to reproduce it?

Hi

Go to notepad++ directory.
          Open change.log
          Open plugin/Api.c.api
          put c.api to another view
          click in change.api
          click ctrl+maj+f then the path is C:\Program Files\Notepad++\plugins\APIsC:\Program Files\Notepad++\plugins\APIs and not C:\Program Files\Notepad++

Hope you can reproduce that

• Nobody/Anonymous

I'll repost my message http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1833757&forum_id=331753 as bug reports have been requested in this thread:

I'm using the zip version of notepad++ 4.3 and have the following bug to report:

There's a crash when file status auto-detection 'update silently' is used and the active (focused) document is moved / renamed.

To reproduce:
      extract notepad++ zip and run notepad++.

In Preferences -> MISC check status auto-detection 'update silently'.

Open a text document.

Rename the document and place focus back in notepad++.

The message 'file x doesn't exist any more. Keep in editor?' pops up. Choose No.

Notepad++ crashes.

I believe this crash occurred in versions earlier than 4.3 too.

Thanks to the developer(s) for otherwise great software and the nifty AutoComplete in 4.3!

Thanks

Rob

• lunatic

lunatic - 2007-10-01

This is kind of a crappy bug report since I can't really pinpoint this crash.  Seems to be random.  Usually happens when I click on a different tab right after N++ regains focus.  The error is "R6025 - Pure function call". I'm running XP Pro and the files in question are on a network drive.  Half of them are set to Read Only in N++.  Sorry that I don't have more time to test and pinpoint the problem.

• Don HO

Don HO - 2007-10-01

Thank you anyway for your report.

> Sorry that I don't have more time to test and pinpoint the problem.

If you can do a little more effort, I may solve your crash problem.
        Could you just tell me the version of your Hex editor plugin, Explorer plugin and Function list plugin (via the plugins menu)?

Thank you in advance,
        Don

• lunatic

lunatic - 2007-10-02

Hex is v0.8.4
          Explorer is v1.5.2
          Function list is v1.2

I always have Explorer and Function list running only. 

Thanks Don, really appreciate the effort.

• Don HO

Don HO - 2007-10-02

The Hex editor and Function list which come with the latest release should be stable.
            I suggest you remove Explorer v1.5.2 plugin.
            Use Light Explorer instead if you want.

Please let me know if it crashes again.

Don

• MisterDog

MisterDog - 2007-11-18

I have exactly the same problem with occasional R6025 crashes - and occasionally (under Vista) it just stops responding as well.
              I have Light Explorer rather than Explorer plugin but makes no difference. I used to get this in 4.1 - have just gone back to using Notepad and downloaded 4.3 and this is causing lots of problems!

• Nobody/Anonymous

I found a crash problem when I sort the files in tab bar.
      The procedure is:

1. I have a session with several files open (about ten)
      2. The last file on the tab is i.e. fff.c
      3. I open a file named i.e. bbb.c (and this is the current view)
      4. I want to sort the files in the tab bar  so open this window and sort by name and by type
      5. When I push Ok the current view is bbb.c but on the tab bar the current file with the orange top bar drawed is fff.c !!
      6. and if I go with the mouse on the fff.c tab and click, npp crashes

I hope the situation is clear.

regards

Mauro

• Christopher

Christopher - 2007-10-08

I have a crash that's occurring with a certan set of files but not with others.  The file sizes are reasonalbe (under 10MB) and there's really nothing too special out them.  The files themselves open in notepad just fine in fact.

Notepad++ is terminating itself so quickly after the first chance exception that I can't seem to generate a memory dump of the process.  About all the debugdiag can capture is below:

[10/8/2007 1:12:26 PM] Thread created. New thread system id - 7344
      (1c74.1cb0): Break instruction exception - code 80000003 (first chance)
      [10/8/2007 1:12:26 PM] Initializing control script
      [10/8/2007 1:12:26 PM] Clearing any existing breakpoints
      [10/8/2007 1:12:26 PM]
      [10/8/2007 1:12:26 PM] Current Breakpoint List(BL)
      *** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found.  Defaulted to export symbols for C:\WINDOWS\system32\kernel32.dll -
      *** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found.  Defaulted to export symbols for C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll -
      [10/8/2007 1:12:26 PM] Thread exited. Exiting thread system id - 7344. Exit code - 0x00000000
      [10/8/2007 1:12:30 PM] Thread exited. Exiting thread system id - 6984. Exit code - 0xc000000d
      [10/8/2007 1:12:30 PM] Thread exited. Exiting thread system id - 7660. Exit code - 0xc000000d
      [10/8/2007 1:12:30 PM] Thread exited. Exiting thread system id - 11016. Exit code - 0xc000000d
      [10/8/2007 1:12:30 PM] Process exited. Exit code - 0xc000000d

I had the problem in 4.0.3 as well with the same files

• Nobody/Anonymous

I also found a crash problem with the syntax highlighting

The procedure:
        1) open a file with a user-defined syntax highlighting (SH)
        2) change SH to 'normal text'
        3) change back to user-defined SH
        4) NPP crash

my system:
        NPP version 4.3
        Win XP

Simon

• Nobody/Anonymous

I'm new to the more powerful file editors, having used regular Notepad for many years.  Also, I don't do any real programming just scripting, just so you have an idea of the level of expertise I don't have. =)

Anyway, I love Notepad++ and I was trying to bend the User Defined Language into shape to do syntax for the scripting language for a game I write mods for, and I managed to crash out pretty hard, no error message, even crashed the Windows Dr. Watson Bug Report routine along with it.  As near as I can tell all I did was this:

Trying to figure out how to use the User Defined Language I did Save As a second time (Not the problem).  In retrospect I suppose it saves all the User Defined info when you close out?  Anyway, suffice to say I had an extra defined language I didn't need so I erased the first one since I'd made some changes to the second one already.  I had already been using the first one to highlight stuff on an open file (so I could see the changes as I went along) and I think something about the fact that it was currently in use when I deleted it caused it to crash out.

Also, in doing so it erased the entire User Defined Language settings.  Not just the one I deleted but the second one as well.  I don't think what I had named them should matter, but for the record I had named them GH-ASL and the second one GH-ASLX.  Running Windows XP, SP 2, Compaq Evo laptop.

Also, since it seems the XML file isn't available while Notepad++ is open, does that mean that anytime it hardcrashes the User Defined settings will get wiped?  Or is there a backup?  Just so I know whether I should make my own backup.

• Nobody/Anonymous

I have found a bug where by Notepad++ 4.3 will crash when trying to double click or file-open a .txt file that has no modified date. If I then open this file in normal notepad and resave the file, Notepad++ with then open the file!

Woudl be great if you could fix this issue!

• Nobody/Anonymous

When I type a Chinese word into CSS(cascading style sheet) file with Notepad++ 4.3
      It will Crash every time...
      This problem also exists in Notepad++ 4.2.x
      Is this a bug?
      Thanks

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks