Trigger a Notepad plugin based on CURSOR & CNTL-KEY inputs

2014-01-30
2014-01-30
  • bob kennelly

bob kennelly - 2014-01-30

Hello using Notepad, would it be possible to create a Notepad plugin that would allow me to place a cursor on a word in a Notepad text file and when i select a CNTL-KEY, Notepad would trigger a call to a plugin which would capture the word(cursor) and then do a lookup of that word(cursor) on a key|value list? ie

key |value
    function|c:\file1
    function|c:\file2
    function|c:\file3
    function|c:\file4

And before using this plugin, i would have already created the key|value list in advance, so the plugin would use the word(cursor) to do a lookup on the key|value list and when a word(key) is found, the plugin would open the text filename(value) associated with that word(key) in Notepad?

For example, if i place the cursor on the word "function", select a CNTL-KEY, then Notepad would open the first filename(value) “c:\file1” associated with the word(cursor)?

Thanks for any suggestions or recommendations!
    BobK

• Andreas Jonsson

Andreas Jonsson - 2014-01-30

This is easily done using the Python plugin.

First install "Python script" if it's not already installed. (Plugins -> Plugin manager, select "Python script", click Install).

Then add the following script. Go to Plugins -> Python script -> New script, then type in a name, then copy and paste the following:

curPos = editor.getCurrentPos()
    wordStart = editor.wordStartPosition(curPos, True)
    wordEnd = editor.wordEndPosition(curPos, True)
    word = editor.getTextRange(wordStart, wordEnd)
    keyValues = { 'test1': 'c:\\users\\andreas\\desktop\\test1.txt', 'test2': 'c:\\users\\andreas\\desktop\\test2.txt'}
    if word in keyValues:
              notepad.open(keyValues[word])

Now you can run the script by selecting Plugins -> Python script -> Scripts -> {name}. If you want to map a shortcut key, follow these instructions: https://sourceforge.net/p/notepad-plus/discussion/482781/thread/9820f17f

You define the key-value list on line 5 following ordinary Python dictionary syntax.

• bob kennelly

bob kennelly - 2014-01-30

Great thanks very much Andreas, great reason to learn Python too! have a great one!

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks