Ctrl+Tab should keep pages in same place

gz13
2013-11-05
2013-11-10
  • gz13

gz13 - 2013-11-05

Say you want to compare two HTML files, where one is a slight modification of the other. So you open both in Notepad++ and use Ctrl+Tab to flip back and forth between them to detect any differences. Let's also say each file is long enough that it takes three or four Page Downs to get to the bottom. So as you're flipping back and forth and comparing, you eventually need to scroll down or Page Down. If you try to keep each file at the beginning of a particular line of code, Notepad++ will NOT keep the pages stable when switching back and forth. It seems to move them around randomly, or puts them back at the very top.

Can Notepad ++ be configured so that Ctrl+Tab keeps the pages exactly where I left them?

If not, then consider this a feature request.

Thanks.

• THEVENOT Guy

THEVENOT Guy - 2013-11-10

Hello gz13,

I don't understand because, in my configuration ( N++ 6.5.1 on a Win XP SP3laptop ), when I use the CTRL + TAB feature, the position of each of the two files can be selected and kept, while swapping !

Anyway, as for me, I wouldn't bother about the CTRL + TAB way of swapping, between the two files ! Instead, it would better to :

• Move one of the two files in the secondary view of N++, with a mouse click on Menu View\Move/Clone Current Document\Move to Other View

• Select the other file, in the primary view of N++

• Set the vertical scrolling mechanism with a mouse click on Menu View\Synchronize Vertical Scrolling

So, you'll see that when you move the vertical lift of the first file, the second file move, in an according way !

Best Regards,

guy038

Last edit: THEVENOT Guy 2013-11-10
  • Redoute

Redoute - 2013-11-10

The scroll position is not kept by Ctrl+Tab when:

• wrap is on
    • first screen line is a continuation line

Think for example of an unformatted XML file with one line several screens long, with cursor placed at EOL. Then after Ctrl-Tab the Cursor position will be outside the screen. :-(

I think this is what gz13 complains about. I too sometimes compare files visually by Ctrl-Tabbing. It can be quicker and easier than using the compare plugin, and can't be substituted by synchronous scrolling.

• THEVENOT Guy

THEVENOT Guy - 2013-11-10

Hi, Redoute and gz13,

Well, I admit that my previous post, give too simple informations, about that topic

So, thank you for your additional hints !

Indeed, it perfectly shows that to create a strong editor, like N++, is really a very big job. You can choose, as you like, between these two smileys :-) or :-( !!!

Cheers,

guy038

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks