Menu

Compare Plugin failed under Win 7x64-bit

Frank
2011-07-12
2014-03-05
  • Frank

Frank - 2011-07-12

Hi Don and All guys,

I meet a problem of npp 5.9.2 when running compare plug-in. When running compare, the screen become black, then light, then black, again and again, until the npp progress is killed.
    OS is Win 7x64-bit.

The same problem has been posted in this forum in about 1n months ago when 5.8 is released, you can find it by this link:
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/notepad-plus/forums/forum/331753/topic/3861125/index/page/1
    It's on 25th floor.

• Jean-sébastien Leroy

Hi !

I seen this issue when the guy posted it a month ago, but as Ufo, I wonder if he really tried to compare such a big file.

Can you give me the files you used when Compare crashed ?
    Does it crash with any files ?

Anyway, I can't reproduce the bug as I don't have Windows 7.

Regards,
    JS

• Frank

Frank - 2011-07-12

Hi JS,

Thanks for your reply.

Very sorry that I can't provide the files that made npp crashed. They are C program file of about 10,000 lines.

In fact, npp doesn't crash with small files in my computer. For files of hundreds lines, npp can compare them normally. For files of thousands lines, npp just died without screen black. For files of 10 thousands, npp crashed when compare.

I hope this info would be helpful to you.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2011-12-07

I also have this issue, and the only way to have the screen come back is to press the keyboard shortcut to turn off compare, which is "Ctrl + Alt + D" by default.

If this is not gonna be fixed very soon, please mark this plugin as unable.

I use this plugin extensively at my 32bit machines, this very bug just triples my work at office…

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2011-12-07

In addition to my comment, the file compared is an INI file with over 12, 000 lines.

• Jean-sébastien Leroy

Hi Vicary,

There is no reason to mark Compare as an unusable plugin because of a corner case that create a bug in a very particular scenario (Win7 64 + huge file + I guess Nvidia graphic card).

Sadly, I can't reproduce the bug and BTW fix it as I do not have a Win7 64 machine available.

Regards,
    Jean-Sebastien

• Steen Rabol

Steen Rabol - 2012-01-06

Hi

I have exactly the same problem on two different machines
    One machine have a NVidia quadro NVS 160M and one a AMD Radeon HD 6970M

And yes, it is related to 'big' files

IMHO it's not a single case.

and even sadder, it used to work in the past.

Kind regards
    Steen

• TD

TD - 2012-01-09

For me, it was crashing and screen going black on 32-bit Windows 7 under following scenario:

1) Plugins | Compare | "Navigation bar" option checked  (w/o this checked, there were no problems, no matter how big the files)
    *and *
    2) Comparing "big files", which through testing seems to be defined as > 8192 lines *after* it does its testing and shifting lines down (that is, let's say file A and file B are both 8192 lines, but there's a difference detected where file B has a line that file A doesn't causing the matched results to be showing > 8192 lines)

The "fix" for me was to change my Windows theme to "Windows 7 Basic" (i.e. under Control Panel | Personalization | pick "Windows 7 Basic" under "Basic and High Contrast Themes" … after doing this I was able to do comparisons against large files again with "navigation bar" option checked and no more black screen crashing!

Hope this helps somebody out there.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2012-06-27

tdawg3's solution worked for me as well. Turning off "Navigation bar" did the trick!

• TD

TD - 2012-06-27

Just to be clear torrelasley, there's *two* different workarounds, I believe. You can either (1) turn off the plugin's navigation bar *OR* (2) change your Windows 7 theme to be 'Windows 7 Basic". For me, personally, I prefer option 2 because I actually like the navigation bar of the compare plugin's results.

• Pearl Bulb 100W

Pearl Bulb 100W - 2012-09-07

So am I right? A buggy plugin still gets the mark "good"? WTF is this?

This plugin is, if working, great. But hey: it's normal to many of us to compare files with more than 10.000 lines. NP++ isn't an editor for beginners and W7x64 isn't an alien-os. So as long as there is no solution to get this plugin work in any normal enviroment it should be tagged as buggy!

• Marco64Th

Marco64Th - 2012-09-24

I have the same problem. In my case it also happens on a W7x64 but it does not involve very large files.

1 of the (almost identical) files however became corrupted while downloading in FTP and has probably been downloaded in binary mode instead of ascii.

I can provide example files.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2012-11-05

Guys, there is another solution with this without totally sacrificing your aero theme on Win7. Right click on the notepad++ executable and go to properties, compatibility then check the boxes for
    - disable visual themes
    - disable desktop composition
    - disable high dpi scaling.

Now when you auto launch the application it will automatically turn windows into basic mode theme only whilst notepad++ is running.

James

• AGP

AGP - 2014-02-25

Same problem here. NotePadd++ v6.5.4 with Compare plugin 1.5.6 on a Win 7 x32 machine with two Dell monitors and an Intel HD Graphics 2000. My experience is that for small files everything works as advertised. The highlighting and the nav bar work great with colors displaying where changes are. Now with big files it becomes a bit weird. My screen starts to flicker like crazy then settles down. As soon as I scroll through the documents the flickering starts again.

After reading this thread yes turning off the nav bar seems to have resolved the problem but now...well you don't have the nav bar which I find very useful. The other thing I did to workaround this issue, sort of what the post above me said. Except I go the shortcut on my desktop and go to Compatibility tab and place a check on Disable desktop composition. This stops the flickering but the nav bar still doesn't work. I love the nav bar.

Thanks to the developer for such a great plugin. I hope this small issue gets worked out.

• AGP

AGP - 2014-02-25

Also the shortcuts for the navigation Previous, Next, First, Last don't seem to work. Clicking on the menu item does work but not the hot keys.

• cchris

cchris - 2014-03-01

I assume you all tested on v6.5.4 with and without DPI scaling (new option), and there are still problems.
    I just did the folllowing test on Win8.1/64 home, aero theme. I installed Compare, made up a text file 17,000 line long, introduced 1700 changes into a copy at random places (I replaced { with * in a few C++ source files globbed up).
    Everything works fine, and the nav bar works. Perhaps because I have 16Gb RAM onboard.

Did you check that your video drivers are up to date? Last time I made an update, it removed an assortment of display glitches and sometimes freezes I had wih other apps.

So the plugin is not instable. It may be sensitive to the available video hardware and RAM.
    In the attached screenshot, I made 4155 more replacements, changing "bool" to something much longer. This added 50Mo to one of the file on the spot. I hit COmpare again and all is well.

CChris

• AGP

AGP - 2014-03-03

I will try at home with Win8.1 x64. I will also try to test various DPI settings on the machine where it doesn't work.

• AGP

AGP - 2014-03-04

Tested with a small, medium, and large DPI on Windows with the same results. Namely for large files and displaying of the Nav Bar the screen flickers like crazy. For small files it works well. I ran the test on two work machines:

1. HP Desktop, Win7 x32, 2GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 2000 (Jan 2014 drivers)
    2. HP Laptop, Win7 x32, 4GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 3000

I also ran the test at different resolutions down to 800x600 with the same results.

I will test at home tonite.

Last edit: AGP 2014-03-05
  • AGP

AGP - 2014-03-05

OK tested at home with a 14,000 line text file. The Nav Bar does show as intended. Although the screen does not flicker, the right-side of the Nav Bar itself does tend to slightly flicker when I scroll.

Home built Desktop, Windows 8.1 x64, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 7800