Notepad++ 6.2 released!

Don HO
2012-10-09
2015-05-04
<< < 1 2 3 4 .. 8 > >> (Page 2 of 8)

• Anonymous
    2012-10-16

Hi there!

I just downloaded and installed version 6.2. First of all let me tell you that you've done a really great job with UDL2. It's definitely a big improvement!

Now I've noticed something that might be a bug. I had defined the double quotes  "  as a delimiter and then I tried to define as a folder the following: "# IF" so that the space would be part of the folder keyword. This didn't work! Then I tried again with single quotes  '   but it again didn't work. Then tried the same but as a GROUP1 keyword. Nothing. Lastly, I removed the delimiter and all of a sudden the "# IF" worked. It worked both as keyword or as folder. Then I entered again the delimiter and everything worked perfectly, ie both the folding and the delimiter were stylized correctly!

And a suggestion: If you select C as your language, and you have a #define that spans across several lines, then all of it gets highlighted.
    eg in C, the following code will get highlighted as a whole:

#define SOMETHING           \
         SOMETHING_MORE                 \
         AND_EVEN_MORE

I couldn't figure out how to do this in UDL2.

Maybe another suggestion could be to be able to pick any of the existing styles (C, C++, python, etc) in UDL2 to be used as the basis and then be able to modify some things to build your new language. So functionality as the above mentioned will already be set, and then you can modify delimiters, keywords etc.

Cheerio :)

• Loreia2
    Loreia2
    2012-10-16

Hi,

Now I've noticed something that might be a bug. I had defined the double quotes  "  as a delimiter and then I tried to define as a folder the following: "# IF" so that the space would be part of the folder keyword. This didn't work! Then I tried again with single quotes  '   but it again didn't work. Then tried the same but as a GROUP1 keyword. Nothing. Lastly, I removed the delimiter and all of a sudden the "# IF" worked. It worked both as keyword or as folder. Then I entered again the delimiter and everything worked perfectly, ie both the folding and the delimiter were stylized correctly!

I just re-did the same steps, and I wasn't able to reproduce the issue.

I couldn't figure out how to do this in UDL2.

Only line comments support "line continuation". So, define it as a line comment:
    Comm line open: #define
    Comm line continue: \

One obvious drawback is that line comments and #define statements share the same style if you define then in this way.
    I guess, delimiters should be able to support line continuation. I'll keep that in mind for some future version of UDL.

Maybe another suggestion could be to be able to pick any of the existing styles

That will happen eventually, when (and if) users start using UDL more and define UDL alternatives to standard Scintilla lexers.

BR
    Loreia

• Don HO
    Don HO
    2012-10-16

@feq:

I cannot reproduce the crash at all.
    What is your environment (Windows' version and the language) ?
    Could you remove all plugins to make sure it's not plugins issue?

Don

• Ices Eyes
    Ices Eyes
    2012-10-17

The language definition window is too long that can't be displayed wholly on my laptop, it's also inconsistent on my PC
    What's worse, it's tool window which can not be resized

Could you please make it resizable or add a scrollbar? Or at lease make it wider, shorter.

@Byzod

the issue could be easily reproduced, but scrollbar appears if you dock the window with the button on top right of it ;)

• fec
    fec
    2012-10-17

What is your environment (Windows' version and the language) ?
    Could you remove all plugins to make sure it's not plugins issue?

@Don:

The issue still happens using the minimalistic package under windows 7 Ult. x86 (sp 1 - spanish)

• @Loreia
    Hey, its Yannis . There will be a small delay with the SRS document creation cause i'm still trying to get my project approved. There won't be a problem, though. I'm looking forward to contributing to the project. I'll be able to do a translation to greek in the future. Maybe for the site too, if you're interested.
    BR
    Yannis

• @Loreia

UDL2.0 is wonderful.

However i still see the issue with white spaces and user defined launguage

How I can get the highlighting for "=" and "=="

• Oh i think the img link didn't work. I'll post my code

IF(1 == 2)
    A = 1;
    ENDIF
    IF(1==2)
    A=1;
    ENDIF

In the first case "==" and "=" get the highlighting which is defined. However in the second they don't. How can I get the highlighting for both cases

• Loreia2
    Loreia2
    2012-10-17

Hi cvkattookaran ,

Keywords in second box are in fact operators.

Define them as operators:
    Operator1: + - * === and all the other special characters
    Operator2 (this group requires whitespace separators): AND OR NOT

BR
    Loreia

• Loreia2
    Loreia2
    2012-10-17

Hi Yannis,

nice to hear that your project is going good. Post the document here one you finish it, I am interested to see it.
    Maybe it can be used as template for requirements future UDL version.

About the translation, that sounds very nice, please contact Don about it: don __dot__ h __at__ free __dot__ fr

BR
    Loreia

• Hi Loreia

Oh I've a different set of operators there with a different set of highlighting, so can't move these there.

Can we set two different styles/two set of operators

• Loreia2
    Loreia2
    2012-10-17

Hi cvkattookaran,

Can we set two different styles/two set of operators

In current version, no you can't.
    It was already requested to add several Operator groups and it will be added in the future, but not right away.

BR
    Loreia

• Don HO
    Don HO
    2012-10-19

@feq:

The issue still happens using the minimalistic package under windows 7 Ult. x86 (sp 1 - spanish)

Thank you for the info.
    Mime is win 7 x64 French and I cannot reproduce the crash.
    Loreia can reproduce it and his environment  is  Vista Enterprise SP2 32
    So I suppose the problem can be reproduce on windows x86 - Does anyone encounter the crash problem under xp x86?

Don

• Borut
    Borut
    2012-10-19

I would very much like to describe the Pandoc syntax (it is a markdown flavour). One can do this to some extent now too, but it is a very very rough approximation (or I am not capable of using your features in optimal way).

The following appears to be necessary for what I want: the possibility to include a blank space into an operator (or comment separator) and also to explicitly forbid it. For instance:

" *" = italic begin
    "* " = italic end
    " **" = bold begin
    "** " = bold end

Example:

* This was just an asterisk (actually, it will be interpreted as an enumeration, but well…), but *this is italic,* while after these two asterisks ** comes **bold text** and then some normal text. Unfortunately, *also this is italic*, although it is not quite a blank after the final asterisk. So one should probably be able to distinguish between classes of characters following an operator.

More about Pandoc syntax here: http://johnmacfarlane.net/pandoc/README.html#pandocs-markdown
    More about Markdown syntax here: http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/basics
    Pandoc on line test here: http://johnmacfarlane.net/pandoc/try

Any ideas? Thank you for your time.

• Loreia2
    Loreia2
    2012-10-19

Hi borut-sf ,

the possibility to include a blank space into an operator (or comment separator) and also to explicitly forbid it

Funny how people keep coming with this suggestion :-))

You need to define those emphasis operators as delimiters.
    Take *italic* and **bold** for example:

If you want to share the styler, define them both as Delimiter1:
    Delim1 open: ** *
    Delim1 escape: \
    Delim1 close: ** *

Notice how I put longer string first !!! UDL looks for Delimiter keywords in the order user specifies, so, always put longer strings first. Otherwise UDL can never find them.

If you want to use separate styles (I guess you will run out of delimiters really fast in this way):
    Delim1 open: **
    Delim1 escape: \
    Delim1 close: **

Delim2 open: *
    Delim2 escape: \
    Delim2 close: *

Again longer string was defined first (as delim1), otherwise UDL wouldn't be able to find it.

BR
    Loreia

• Eses
    Eses
    2012-10-19

Hi there. Updated to Notepad++ v6.2

I've been using custom userDefineLang.xml with custom definition of 3ds Max MaxScript. I'm novice to Notepad user defined languages.

PROBLEM:
    I installed Notepad++ v6.2 over old install (previous 6.x version? I think), when I tried to open MaxScript files with (.ms .mcr), instant crash. Tried several times. Seems like old userDefineLang file was the reason.

TRIED:
    Opening UDL editor and importing old userDefineLang.xml file didn't help. Restarting and opening with .ms file crashes Notepad++ again every time.

SOLUTION:
    Seems like one of the "Keywords Lists" items of old file was too long.  I was only able to paste 27000 characters into group window. Old definition had 47000 characters. It worked fine earlier Notepad++ version.

FIX:
    Created new User Language, cut'n'pasted old keywords, split 3rd keyword list into 2, then every character was pasted and fit into list and syntax coloring seemed to work and no crash.

Suggestions in general for syntax highlighting and folding:
    I really don't see a point of updating this system on surface - don't get me wrong, I guess there must be a valid reason. To me it seems strange and short sighted there is two systems, predefined styles and user styles. User style color coding overrides predefined style colors when defined - making it completely useless to have "themes" together with user language, for anything else than .txt files.
    Why not have a system where color styles were controlled simply by user defined language style rules? "operators are blue, comments are pink" and so on. Now if I have blue color in user defined MaxScript file, whatever color I have defined in User Language, it will override style colors… It would be nice to be able use different Styles for user lang, now it's not possible - or if it is, it's not obvious how do it.

• Loreia2
    Loreia2
    2012-10-19

Hi s-s,

can you share old userDefineLanguage.xml file?
    As for other suggestion, UDL does not support themes. That's the limitation of it. That might change in the future, but it is not a priority.

Why not have a system where color styles were controlled simply by user defined language style rules? "operators are blue, comments are pink" and so on. Now if I have blue color in user defined MaxScript file, whatever color I have defined in User Language, it will override style colors… It would be nice to be able use different Styles for user lang, now it's not possible - or if it is, it's not obvious how do it.

I am afraid I don't understand this. Can you try explaining again? Keep in mind I am not a native speaker.

BR
    Loreia

• Eses
    Eses
    2012-10-19

Thanks for reply, how can I send a file here - will definitely send if possible. Would you have an e-mail address ?

Another note, I also have copied into folder C:\Tools\Notepad++\plugins\APIs\ a file called "maxscript.xml" which I think is autocomplete keyword list. However, I don't see a connection to this problem, just thought to mention it.

• Loreia2
    Loreia2
    2012-10-19

Just send zip file to udlv20 __at_ googlemail __dot_com.
    You can include both files.

BR
    Loreia

• Eses
    Eses
    2012-10-19

Loreia: I sent the files to you.

• Borut
    Borut
    2012-10-20

Funny how people keep coming with this suggestion :-))

You need to define those emphasis operators as delimiters.
    Take *italic* and **bold** for example:

Hello Loreia,

hmm, I have done all what you have suggested already before asking my question. Have you perhaps used my example text to compare the result of your suggested definitions with what presents the on-line Pandoc tool (the last link in my original message)? If not, please do that (a matter of one minute, all in all) - I hope you will get the same unsatisfactory result I am getting.

Or am I missing something?

Thank you.

• Loreia2
    Loreia2
    2012-10-21

Hi borut-sf ,

Have you perhaps used my example text to compare the result of your suggested definitions with what presents the on-line Pandoc tool (the last link in my original message)?

Yes, off course, that was the first thing I did.

I hope you will get the same unsatisfactory result I am getting

Now I lost you completely. What unsatisfactory results? Can you go **into detail** of what is it that you are trying to achieve, and what is not working for you? If possible, use short examples to demonstrate the problem.

As for your *italic*, **bold** problem, here is what I get:
    BR
    Loreia

• Loreia2
    Loreia2
    2012-10-21

Hi s-s,

I tried to use your XML files and they work fine for me. No crashing, .ms work right away, all keyword recognized and imported automatically. It is really hard to say what went wrong on your system. Which Windows version are you using?

It would be nice to be able use different Styles for user lang, now it's not possible - or if it is, it's not obvious how do it.

You are probably looking for styles.xml file. This is where you can edit Scintilla styles.

BR
    Loreia

• Borut
    Borut
    2012-10-22

It would be much better, If this forum would have some easier way to post images, but it does not.

Here, again, the test text:

normal *italic* **bold**

*This was just an asterisk (actually, it will be interpreted as an enumeration, but well…), but *this is italic,* while after these two asterisks ** comes **bold text** and then some normal text. Unfortunately, *also this is italic*, although it is not quite a blank after the final asterisk. So one should probably be able to distinguish between classes of characters following an operator.

Again, use this whole test text, as is. Paste it into n++ and activate your trivial definition from above. Then, in your web browser, go to http://johnmacfarlane.net/pandoc/try and paste the same text there and click on the convert button.

See the difference? See the reason for my question? Bell ringing?

It is OK if your concept can not support this kind of problems - they are not easy. I just wanted to know if it can, but I do not know how to use it. Just do not come with "funny", "lost you completely" and such, please.

• Loreia2
    Loreia2
    2012-10-22

Hi borut-sf,

lets go step by step through all issues:

1. You can post images by uploading them to sites like tinypic.com and then post image links here. Annoying a bit, but that's how most forums works anyway.

2. Thanks for second try, now I get that testing paragraph is not just: normal *italic* **bold**
    I didn't get that from last post. So, I tested just with one line and did not understands where the problem was. That's why I "lost you completely".

I also missed this from online documentation:
    "A * or _ character surrounded by spaces, or backslash-escaped, will not trigger emphasis"
    (Even though I spent 20 minutes reading the document)

Now, in UDL whitespace is never part of keyword. In UDL "*" does not have a different meaning when surrounded by whitespace. If you define delimiter1 as *italic*, than every "*" will trigger delimter1 styling. That makes it unsuitable for Pandoc.

I guess this is the first time I encountered such syntax, and I am not sure how to integrate that into current UDL logic. I guess I'll just put this into "features nice to have" list, and see if I can find a way to implement this.

3. "See the difference? See the reason for my question? Bell ringing?"
    What's the deal with the attitude!?!?!?!
    Yes, I see it now. In the future, please make life easier for a guy you are asking help from. Don't just link a 100 page document, but extract the relevant part. Create clear and short file samples, and attach download links. If you use text that is supposed to be copy/pasted use "quote tags" to make it clear what is it that I am suppose to copy. Also, try to grab a screen capture and post it here. That way, help will be both quicker and more accurate. Keep in mind that I do this in my free time, often late in the evening when I am tired, and stuff that is obvious to you might not be (and probably isn't) obvious to me.

4. "It is OK if your concept can not support this kind of problems - they are not easy. I just wanted to know if it can, but I do not know how to use it."
    Unfortunately, you can not, but thanks for reporting this. This is whole new level for UDL, and I hope it can reach it one day.

5. "Just do not come with "funny", "lost you completely" and such, please."
    It was "funny" because I get a lot of e-mails with request for help, and every now and then people ask for this feature. And every time people ask to include space into keyword definition because they misunderstood how UDL works. They thought they needed to include space when in fact they did not needed it. So, my first reaction was "here is another one of those requests". Irony is that this was also the first time where user was right and I was wrong. You do need whitespace in Pandoc, period! I guess you live and learn each day.

Also, I would like to apologize if my remarks sounded like something offensive, I meant nothing like that. I am not a native speaker and even when I re-read them now, those sentences don't sound insulting or patronizing to me. Anyhow, people are friendly here and genuinely try to help each other, nothing more (or less).

Best regards,
    Loreia

<< < 1 2 3 4 .. 8 > >> (Page 2 of 8)