Using PHP in Notpead++

Gary Heath
2013-01-30
2013-02-08
  • Gary Heath

Gary Heath - 2013-01-30

This is a new venture for me, and I don't want to do anything clever, but I get zipped text files almost every day where I have to perform the exact same editing.

I set up a Macro in Notepad++ and yes, it helps, but I still have to click OK after every change and I can't really do very much, so after reading a few web-sites, it looks like a little script is what I need, and again, from reading web-sites, I think PHP may be the easiest one for me to use.

I have the PHP official site open, and being a programmer, I am sure I will be able to get my head around the basic code that I need, but I'm not sure where to start, so I am wondering if anybody has a basic PHP program that they use directly in Notepad++ from the Run command, that they can share with me, so I can see how it works ?!?

A really basic guide as to how to (and where to !) create my first PHP script would be a real help ...

• Dave Brotherstone

So, you want to use the PHP Automation plugin - make sure you have that installed. https://sourceforge.net/projects/phpfornppplugin/

I believe there is some documentation that gets installed with it - some form of text file with some examples in it.

As an alternative, I'd recommend Python Script (I'm biased, it's my plugin!). There's full documentation, both in HTML and CHM formats, and a helpful community if you have questions. It can be installed from Plugin Manager, and gives you full programmatic access to N++ and Scintilla features. It's also a lot lighter than PHP Automation, which installs and starts a webserver when you start n++.

http://npppythonscript.sourceforge.net/

Hope that helps.
    Dave.

• Gary Heath

Gary Heath - 2013-02-08

Hi Dave, yes, other people have said the same thing, to use Python.

I looked at PHP but couldn't even figure out how to install it !!! I realise that a lot of these Open Source programs are meant for "serious" developers, but I really don't see the point in making their download / installation and usage deliberately geeky & difficult !!!

So, bottom line is, I have just installed Python, I guess I need to install your plugin, and then I need to find out what the hell to do next, LOL, is there an idiots guide for complete beginners anywhere ?!?!?

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks