Welcome to Scripting
Thanks Don n Team
I will be happy if VBS is also included as scripting language.
So let's review what are the abilities to automate sequences of actions:
* the macro system - many Scintilla commands can be sent by proper editing of shortcuts.xml
* NppExec plugin - sends any N++/Scintilla command
* SimpleScript plugin - sort of a programming language dedicated to N++. Unfortunately, the plugin is not maintained and is ANSI only.
* AwkPlugin can store and organise AWK scripts. It is ANSI only.
* PHP Automation - can execute PHP scripts on its own HTTP server. Has a script repository.
* NppScripting plugin - many small scripts organised in menus that are included as .js files
* Python Script plugin - Python scripting for Notepad++. The project site has a forum dedicated to scripting.
* RunMe plugin - can have an opened docuent executed as a script on any external script engine available
* sed is a windowless, scriptable editor, so most of the above can invoke it
So basically the sky is the limit.
When one has not learned to program or to write scripts, the beginning process is alsways difficult.
I fit into this category.
To start, I need to have access to a collection of scripts that I can 'play' with and so learn.
For any useful suggestions, I would be grateful.
Kind regards and thanks, Patrick Forkin.
You can find a lot of resources if you go through W3C (World-Wide Web Consortium) which is responsible for the creation and management of many web standards which include HTML (XHTML), CSS, and XML.
I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor to learn.
And if you have installed NppScripting, the Includes subfolder has a number of .js for you to study - or edit, for instance so as to change bound hotkeys.
PHP Automation hasn't been updated in quite a while, the set up is rather faulty (I have a non standard folder installation notepad, plus my program files folder name is localized: I had to actually create a folder in the C drive for the sqlite extension to get it working) plus other issues, so these aren't viable solutions for running scripts from within N++.
1/ Just a reminder: plugins are developed in totally independent projects. So they have a life of their own, and, being small projects, tend to wither and blossom again later. The alternative to this unstable state is integrated abilities, which require much more development and maintainance. Don has chosen the former route. Both have issues.
2/ Update regarding my earlier list of available scripting plugins :
* NppScripting is now jN
* There is a very recent NppSharp plugin to script N++ using C#.
Is VBS a dying scripting language? I've got no complaints about the state of Notepad++ scripting abilities, I mean heck there are three to choose from. I am just curious as to why VBS has not been chosen to be included since it's easy to learn and I think that a lot of people learn that before moving on to bigger and better things. Anyway, hope to be able to spend some time learning some Python which I haven't touched thanks to being a long time (sadly) UltraEdit user.