New guy looking for help enhancing the python script for using time stamps

2014-07-14
2014-07-17
  • DaCrazyCageMan
    DaCrazyCageMan
    2014-07-14

Hey guys I'm new here
    I have no scripting background or much experience, nor am I sure if this is the right place to post this.
    I joined after downloading notepad++ so I could insert time stamps via a hot key using the python script, I found it here and followed the steps:
    http://ardamis.com/2014/03/09/adding-an-insert-datestamp-or-timestamp-macro-to-notepad-plus-plus/
    I have downloaded this because I play a lot of games and record them, but my problem was that when I ran out of room to record on my hdd I would always delete unnecessary files to make room although those files would sometimes contain good videos that I have forgotten about. So using this means I can press the hot key to create a time stamp so I know what times are worth keeping, so my question is, am I able to create a hot key that I can use while in-game so I don't have to tab out, also I would like to know if I can add enter to the script so when the time stamp is initiated it then skips to the next line so it doesn't look all cluttered up and confusing with loads of times and dates.
    I am also open to any new scripts I could possibly use to enhance this experience.
    Thanks in advance guys.

• dail8859
    dail8859
    2014-07-14

By default Notepad++ cannot receive key press events while in the background. In order to send key press events to another window without tabbing out you will have to use something like AutoHotkey. This forum post seems to describe what you are wanting to do pretty well.

To add a new line after the timestamp, add "\n" (without quotes) to the end of the format string, for example '%Y-%m-%d %I:%M %p\n'

• dail8859
    dail8859
    2014-07-17

Just FYI...in case you run into trouble trying to use AutoHotKey, a user reported a problem with it working with the new version of Notepad++