Possible deldir enhancement

• Robert Gault

Robert Gault - 2008-12-24

Recently I needed to delete a directory of some 30 files where they were all read-only. Deldir would not work and I really did not want to change the attributes on all files.

I've worked out a patch for deldir so that if a file can't be opened in write mode and it is also not a directory, the attributes are automatically changed to include Write.

The patch was intended for a previously patched deldir of mine called kildir. This version does not prompt the user but just deletes a directory tree, no questions asked.

Any ideas on whether we should incorporate the attr change in deldir or perhaps include kildir in 3rd party or even the main command list?

• Allen Huffman

Allen Huffman - 2015-01-30

I would want to look at what modern OS-9 does as a guide. If it still has that issue, then a 3rdparty tool would be my vote. (Hmmm, I think Unixy deldirs have a command line option to force delete like this?)

Code bloat is a concern to me, though mostly for system modules that are part of the boot (and the RAM they use).

I just got reminded that when deleting a huge director, you get asked "(l/d/q)" a hundred times. All my years with OSK/OS-9000 has made me forget other things that are there. But, this has nothing to do with your issue.

Cancel  Add attachments

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks