PDF docs, most dot commands dont work.

djackson
2012-02-09
2013-06-12
  • djackson

djackson - 2012-02-09

The description of the dot commands in the ngspice24.pdf manual does not agree with the actual behavior of ngspice.  The docs should remove the dot form usage from the manual for those commands which only work within a .control/.endc block.  An example would be .plot/.print/.ac/.pz etc.  These commands also do not accept the measurement type argument as described in the documentation for example .plot pltype …  The removal of these inaccurate descriptions is a basic cleanup task which would improve the perception of the usability of this tool if done.

• djackson

djackson - 2012-02-09

I should correct my comment above.  The dot commands do not work in interactive mode, this distinction should be made clearer I believe in the documentation.  I have been writing dot commands with the belief that they would work as I interactively setup my tests, only to find that they do not but are required to get batch output.  Does this mean that the user has to have two types of spice decks, one written for interactive use and the other for batch execution?  Maybe I am missing something about how this works your feedback is welcome, thanks in advance.

• Holger Vogt

Holger Vogt - 2012-02-09

Hi,

may I recommend some more reading?

Manual chapter 16.4. on the tree modes of how to start ngspice,
    chapt. 15 on dot commands,
    chapt. 16 on how to start ngspice,
    chapt. 17 on the interactive usage

Lots of examples are included.

If you have any pointed question, please let us know.

Regards

Holger