Multiple host at same time?

Help
2006-08-03
2013-03-21
  • Guilhem BONNEFILLE

Hi,

Reading manpage and forum, I did not understand something: is it possible to retrieve a multi-part file from multiple hosts at the same time?

In other words:
    I wish to download a multi-part file. But the nearest news server is quite slow. So I wish to give nget other hosts. So, it will be able to download a part on a server while downloading an OTHER part on an other host.
    By this way, I will increase the bandwidth of the download.

• Frederick Bruckman

"nget" only runs one download thread at a time, but you could run separate instances, each with different "-h <host>" options, and it would mostly work. One instance won't try to download a part that already exists. However, they will balk heavily at decode time, as the one instance removes the parts out from under the other. You could use "-iK" to prevent that. 

In practice, though, I think the fastest host will end up doing all the work, so why not set up the priorities to simply prefer the fastest host?

• Guilhem BONNEFILLE

> In practice, though, I think the fastest host will end up doing all the work, so why not set up the priorities to simply prefer the fastest host?

I wish to speed-up my download.
        The current host deliver 10Kb/s. If I could use 2 or 3 hosts, I expect a dowload more quickly. Perhaps 2 times better? Perhaps more?

Do you think it could be really difficult to add this feature to nget?

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks