feature request

Silas
2003-11-07
2003-11-11
  • Silas

Silas - 2003-11-07

I just added a feature request and was wondering if it was in the works or if it would even be possible under the current framework. It looks as though it wouldn't be possible because of the way messages are sent but who knows I could be wrong...(it happens...more than I would like to admit =-).

silastad

• Sebastian Eichner

Nothing is impossible, of course...
      But file sharing would definiltly need a lot of work and cause a few problems. The way messages are transferred right now is optimized for quick delivery, not for transferring huge amounts of data.

Additionally it's depending on the chat client you use. The flash client for example does not have any chance to upload a file, because flash simply does not have access to the hd. So for the java-client i think it would be easier to integrate an existing file sharing client/server into the nfc-server/client. So the chatclient would only show a link, you click it, the "real"  filesharing client starts and retrieves the file.

Just an idea..... but to finally answer your question: the current framework is not optimal for this task, so it would require major work, and i've never heard that anybody works on something like this.

But if you have some spare time... ? ;-)
      Sebastian

• Silas

Silas - 2003-11-10

Actually I think that would be kind of fun, do you know of any good open source file sharing programs (is emule any good?). I haven't done any programming with file sharing but would like to learn. Are there any good tutorials that you know of. I will start looking around and see what I can find. Thanks,
      silastad

• Sebastian Eichner

No, me neither. I have not even used filesharing programs much... ;-)

But i believe there are quite a few with java-clients.
        Right now i don't have an idea how this could be implemented in a way that the flash-client too can use it.

Maybe users with the flash-client would have to use a stand-alone-filesharing program. And then use the nfc-client to send a kind of "link" to other people.

Sebastian

• Silas

Silas - 2003-11-11

I wouldn't know I haven't even looked at the flash-client.

silastad