KeepSong

2009-01-02
2013-05-09
  • Murat Bezel

Murat Bezel - 2009-01-02

Message to Greg (sending an e-mail to users.sourceforge.net is quite complicated)

Do you remember me and KeepSong? It was gone with the unfortunate loss of the forum.

Well, KeepSong is still there and better then ever. Only 3 .vbs, Flag in Registry instead of a file, and handling of the condition if a song was kept already.

I was too lazy to upload and tell about it, and I am too lazy to tell everything about it again, but if anyone is interested tell me

Murat

• Murat Bezel

Murat Bezel - 2009-01-02

And I forgot: Together with the (free) TrayCommander lite you know have a Tray Icon from where you can decide to keep a song. I find it quite elegant now.

And correction: I wrote "then" instead of "than". Stupid mistake. Happens sometimes.

• Gregory Sharp

Gregory Sharp - 2009-01-03

Yeah, sorry about the forum.

Do you have a link for the download site?  I can add to the front web page.

• Gregory Sharp

Gregory Sharp - 2009-01-03

btw, my email address is not supposed to be secret ;)

it is gregsharp AT geocities DOT com

• Murat Bezel

Murat Bezel - 2009-01-03

OK, here is something fast, the new version as is, only the 3 .vbs without setup script or anything for anyone who gets how simple it is. There will be a proper setup script though.

http://bezel.be/KeepSong.zip

And here you get the TrayCommander lite that I mentioned:
      http://www.ardamax.com/tcl/

You have to configure it for KeepSong manuallly.

Have fun,
      Murat

• Murat Bezel

Murat Bezel - 2009-01-03

And here a Screenshot to tell you where KeepSong should be: In the dock from ObjectDock from Stardock. There you have to click only once while there is one right and one left mouse click with TrayCommander. I'm sure I will find a great icon otherwise I make one myself. Everybody else is also welcome. Right now I have general concerns about the placement and fitting on the primary screen in the middle or expanding it totally across all three.

http://bezel.be/2009-01-04%20Screenshot%20KeepSong%20and%20all.jpg

Oh, and a fitting skin for Streamripper is also on the agenda.

Like it? :-)

• Murat Bezel

Murat Bezel - 2009-01-04

and another one just for the fun it (I like the playing time of Winamp)

http://bezel.be/2009-01-04%20Screenshot%20KeepSong%20and%20all%202.jpg

• Gregory Sharp

Gregory Sharp - 2009-01-04

Thanks MB.  I added a link to this forum page.  -Greg

• Murat Bezel

Murat Bezel - 2009-01-09

concerning the reason why the second link does not work I have to attach that I got from my provider pointing out that the first link does work and I already renamed the file exchanging the 2 at the end with 0123456789 since I did not hear from him anymore. Here is the new (working) link:

http://bezel.be/2009-01-04%20Screenshot%20KeepSong%20and%20all%200123456789.jpg

The e-mail:

Sent: Donnerstag, 8. Januar 2009 07:22
      To: 'Murat Bezel'
      Subject: RE: Weird file reading problem on bezel.be

Hi.

Normally, you must not name files with spaces (or have too long names).

Try renaming the file without spaces or if you must have space, then separate the spaces with a dash “-“.

Please also note our eTicketSupport HelpDesk www.mauritius3.biz for all support issues.

Regards
      eTicketSupport: www.mauritius3.biz

• Navid Zamani

Navid Zamani - 2009-01-29

Hey, I wrote a replacement for KeepSong. It works for Linux only (but should work with cygwin [bash,ssh,streamripper] and amarok for windows too), but it has many cool functions. I hope you all can use it. https://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=2942061&forum_id=19083

If you need help using or modifying it, just mail me. :)

• Murat Bezel

Murat Bezel - 2009-01-30

Replacement for KeepSong? Was that what the world was waiting for, Navid (N5 + A1 + V4 + I9 = 19 + D4 = 23 what is one of that many "coincedences" again. Do you know bezel.de already? Makes sense to me)?

Well, maybe it is a useful Linux implementation of the architecture of KeepSong and there is one thing that I would agree: That could be implemented in Streamripper. But it does not really have to anymore. "Start watching streamripper" in the Startup-Folder and KeepSong on the dock works perfectly for me.

Anyway, reason enough for me to start rewriting the setup script right away and making an own web page for KeepSong where the link will directly lead to.

• Gregory Sharp

Gregory Sharp - 2009-01-31

I think it is great to have a linux version, even if the implementation is independent.  Maybe worth including these in streamripper itself.  For example, the windows version can be included in the installer.

• Murat Bezel

Murat Bezel - 2009-01-31

Nothing against that, Greg.

Just go on and do what you have to do. If there is anything I can do, let me know. You can also mail me at murat@bezel.be.

Btw: There would be 2 requests for Streamripper that would make life easier with KeepSong, of which the second is not that important right now because I listen to one station all the time.

1. Autostart recording of Streamripper, preferably incl. autostart at station change.
         I don't know if Streamripper is informed about that but if, I have an idea already of which I do not know if it is practicable. That would be checking what Winamp plays every second or so.

2. Station-dependant recording-directories.
         Normally you achieve that with the station-name -variable but right now I listen to a station of which the name starts with an "*" and that is an illegal char for the path. A text file with a list of aliases would be handy. That would also allow KeepSong to keep to different directories with genre or station names. The modification in KeepSong to monitor several sub-directories should be no problem and I would do that.

• Gregory Sharp

#1 is an interesting idea.  I'll have to think about it.

#2 is already supported (sort of).  Each stream can have independent settings in the config file.  So, you could have separate output directories, pattern strings, etc.  The part that is missing is the GUI...

• Gregory Sharp

BTW, a comment on #2, if you change the config file from KeepSong, there is not an easy way to tell streamripper to reload. 

• Murat Bezel

Murat Bezel - 2009-01-31

To #1 looking forward to it.

To #2 I didn't know that and  enough for me. I have to look that up. to "btw" that would not be neccessary. The situation was like that I was listening to a funky house, a salsa, and a classic guitar station depending on the mood and I wished I could keep the songs in different directories. With the config file and the modification in KeepSong that would work. I'll do that one day but as I said I do not need it right now. If anyone else does just leave a note here so that I have a reason to do it.

• eluong

eluong - 2009-02-09

May I ask what KeepSong does?

• Murat Bezel

Murat Bezel - 2009-02-09

KeepSong allows you to decide to keep a song on  your hard disk while you are hearing it with a mouse click opposed to have to start recording before a song starts and then recording a sequence of songs.

• Murat Bezel

Murat Bezel - 2009-03-27

Well, mea culpa, I uploaded on old "Start watching Streamripper Folder"-script and that was not working.

Anyway, now it's the right one and really works as promised.

http://bezel.be/KeepSong.zip

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks