Cannot find GLU (Compilation on Windows)

Help
Karagiosis
2009-03-16
2013-05-27
  • Karagiosis

Karagiosis - 2009-03-16

Hi folks,

I'm trying to compile Netgen on Windows as I'm insterested in OpenCASCADE.

During the "make" step, I get some error : the GLU library (understand OpenGL) is not found.

I checked that glu32.dll is present in "C:\Windows\system32" and also set the PATH environment variable to "C:\Windows\system32". But the error remains.

Is the "make" looking for some "glu.lib" or "glu.h" ?

Should I install Mesa, although OpenGL is installed by default on Windows ?

Thanks for your help.

Here, the error messages (see 4th line) :

l.a -L/c/Netgen/ext_libs/tcl/lib/Togl1.7 -LC:/Netgen/ext_libs/tcl/lib -lTogl1.7 -lGLU -ltk85 -ltcl85
    c:\mingw\bin\..\lib\gcc\mingw32\3.4.2\..\..\..\..\mingw32\bin\ld.exe: cannot find -lGLU
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    g++.exe: unrecognized option `-rdynamic'
    make[2]: *** [netgen.exe] Error 1
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/Julien/sources/netgen/ng'
    make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/Julien/sources/netgen'
    make: *** [all] Error 2

• Nobody/Anonymous

When compiling with MinGW, should I install Mesa so that the compiler finds the GLU library ?

Maybe the compiler/linker is looking for some ".a" ".o" or ".lib" file...

Strangely, I cannot find the string "GLU" in the makefile, although makes outputs the error that GLU cannot be found.

• Philippose Rajan

Hello there,

A Good Evening to you!

Sorry for the delay in replying... I was not in station the last two days....

First a couple of questions from my side:

1. Any specific reason why you are trying to use MinGW for compiling Netgen with OpenCascade support on Windows? The binary release of OpenCascade for Windows does not work with MinGW, so unless you have re-compiled the whole OpenCascade package for MinGW, I dont think it will work...

2. From the error you seem to be getting, it looks like the configure script in the netgen compile process has detected your system to be a linux "X11" system, rather than a "WIN32" system... are you sure you have your MinGW system setup correctly? On a Windows system, the OpenGL libraries are called "libglu32.a".. so if your setup is correct, Netgen should be using "-lglu32" instead of "-lGLU"

3. Any reason why you dont want to use the freely available Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition for compiling Netgen with OpenCascade support on windows ?

Have a nice day!

Philippose

• Karagiosis

Karagiosis - 2009-03-18

Hello Philippose,

Thanks for your answer.

There is no specific reason why I was using MinGW rather than Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 edition, appart the fact that MinGW is installed on my computer while Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 is not.

I just read in the wiki docs that it was possible to compile Netgen with MinGW. I was currently trying to compile Netgen with MinGW, without OpenCASCADE enabled in a first time.
      I installed OpenCASCADE binaries but I was not aware that they could not work with Netgen compilation/linking using MinGW. Thanks for the info.

I'm not sure that MinGW is correctly configured on my machine. I just remember that the setup was quite straightforward and that I could succesfully compile other projects.

I'll reconsider my choice and install Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 as this seems much more easy in the case of Netgen. Thanks.

Julien

• Philippose Rajan

Hello Julien,

A Good Afternoon to you!

Great that you are considering compiling Netgen with Microsoft Visual C++ Express Edition :-)!

In the mean-time however, I shall try to get Netgen compiled on a MinGW/MSys installation, and see how we can get it to
      support Opencascade too.... it would be a good addition to the set of compilers and operating systems we can use with
      Netgen...!

Let me know if you have further issues... :-)!

Have a nice day!

Philippose

• Karagiosis

Karagiosis - 2009-03-18

Hi Philippose,

I could successfully install Microsoft Visual C++
      and compile Netgen in Debug mode.

Thank your for your help. I still have issues with my installation of netgen, but I'll make a new thread since this one is going away from the original topic.

Concerning MinGW compilation, I'll also tell in a new thread what I did and how far could I go in the compilation.

Have a nice evening.

Julien

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks